Changing the size of a map

So I finished a map and I didn't use as much space as I originally though I would need. How can I change the size of the map? For example, lets say I begin with a 500x500 map but I really only need 500x475?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The simplest option is usually simply to resize your map border and the map background to fit your new map size (You may need to unfreeze/thaw the map border and background layer from the layers dialog before you can edit them.). Use the basic scale tools for this.
    Other options are to create a new map the desired size, and either copy over everything from your old map (except the map border and the background), or to delete the map border on the old map, and copy over the border from the new map you created. Note that if you have made custom effect settings for the map, these will not automatically be copied over if you go with the option of copying everything to a new map, but you can save them as a custom setting in the old map from the sheets and effects dialog, end then load this setting up in the new map.
  • The second method I think will work best for me - how do you copy and paste a map from one map to the other?
    Simply select Copy from the Edit menu, select the entities as normal (Keep an eye on the command line, a lot of people fail to do this correctly because they skip the final step), then do Edit -> Paste in the target map.
  • I'm having trouble getting it to copy over to a different map - getting an error message that the clip board is empty. I'm able to copy and paste just fine in the original map file - what might be the problem?
    Did you keep an eye on the command line? The most common cause of the "empty clipboard" issue is that you haven't completed all the steps of the copy process, usually by skipping the last one, select clipboard origin.
  • Ah, tricky :P Ya I got it now, thanks!