Effects rendering forever - workaround found me thinks

Hello.
After a hiatus of a year or so I have started getting back into making battle maps. After working on a map for awhile, creating new sheets, adding lots of effects etc I started having trouble with CC3 seeming to freeze when I apply effects, see below link for a previous post:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4668&page=1#Item_3

So after contacting Ralph for some techincal advice of what could be up, I started thinking about why CC3 is freezing like this, as I'm sure I did not have so much trouble when I first started using it. So I thought CC3 should not have changed, but in my break from CC3 I have downloaded a truckload of windows updates, so maybe something in them has thrown a spanner in the works. I am running Windows 7 64 Bit.

On a bit of a whim I turned on the Windows XP SP3 compatibility setting:
* Right click CC3 startup icon on desktop,
* Click on Properties
* Click the Compatibility tab
* Click the tick box to run CC3 in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatibility mode
* Click Apply
* Click OK.

Then fired up CC3 with a map I was having trouble with, turned on the effects, held my breath and it worked!!
Didnt want too get excited about it so gave it awhile, mucking round with the map, adding things and turning effects on and off quite a bit and for the second night running I have not had a crash yet.

If anybody else is having this trouble maybe give it a try. I do not get the "no response" message in the top of the CC3 window or have to switch to another program to minimize CC3 or anything. CC3 is working like a charm!
a.PNG 67.1K

Comments

• 6 days later
  • If that stops working for you, you could do what I do and switch to another application in full screen for 30-60 seconds or so. The freezing only seems to occur when CC3 is the active application with windows' focus, if it's in the background it renders fine. That said, if there is a lot to render then it might take longer than 30-60 seconds.