Factors in export file size

I just exported a battlemap using "save as" rectangular jpeg, with a quality factor of 40% at 5000 x 5000. This resulted in a jpg file of about 21 MB.

I'm sure that I have used these exact same settings for other maps and came out with a jpg that was around 5MB or less.

If you were to rate what factors resulted in this difference what would you think it is the most important in terms of affecting file size? Amount of sheet effects used? Type and number of symbols used? Fixed bitmap quality setting?

I'm puzzled by the vast difference in file size.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    JPEG compression depend heavily on the content of the image. Some things are just easier to compress than others. Lots of details in the image usually result in a bigger file size. Since the compression depends on the final image, and not CC3 features, this can be caused by lots of symbols, patterned fill, effects, text, in short, the more complex the final image is, the bigger the jpeg-compressed version will be, no matter if the source of the complexion was symbols, effects, or whatever.

Unless you really need to reduce file size, I would highly recommend png for maps though. a bit larger than jpg, but the quality is just so much better.