Anyone using CC on a Windows 8.1 ultrabook?

Hi, I currently run CC3 on a Windows 7 laptop. I am looking to upgrade to a Windows 8.1 ultrabook or something like a Lenovo Yoga 3 or MS Surface 3. Anyone have any experience of running CC3 on this sort of platform, and if so, anything to look out for? Thanks.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I run CC3 on the original Surface Pro and I am quite happy with it. The ability to use the pen when drawing is quite nice.
    A few of the issues I have though is the lack of keys if use use it as a tablet. This is the best way to use it when drawing with the pen, but then you are lacking keys that are needed during commands, for example space bar to randomize a fractal path. Also, you don't have a middle mouse button, which is helpful for quick pans. Also, since right click is done by doing a long-click, all right-click operations take more time. Of course, if you place the surface in "laptop-mode", you have the keyboard and everything. The pointing surface is mediocre though, and doesn't have a middle mouse button, but the surface does come with a USB port, so you can easily attach an external mouse if you prefer.

The surface is not my main mapping unit though, but I find it handle CC3 quite nicely. Just be aware of the zoom setting in Windows, CC3 does not particularly like the 125% (Medium) one, but the 100% (Smaller) and 150% (Larger) ones works fine, although some icons are a bit fuzzy on the 150% setting. This is a general problem with zoom and older programs in windows in general though, and not a surface problem, but it is often encountered there, since you need to change the zoom, otherwise everything ends up being really tiny, which is not particularly helpful on a touch display.
  • Monsen, thanks for your help. I continue to hum and hah about what to buy but at least I am reassured I'll be able to go travelling and be able to carry on mapping. Furthermore, I expect CC3+ will be better suited to Windows 8 anyway.
  • I have an ASUS 64-bit Win 8.1 laptop, CC3 works fine on it. The CPU is 1.8 GHz, 4 gigs of ram, and I don't use sheet effects. Can't swap out the battery myself though, requires 'a qualified technician'. It has 2 USB ports, I have a wired mouse on one of them.
  • 6 days later
  • Thanks JimP. I have ordered a Lenovo Yoga with win 8.1 - I am sure it will be fine. Now to get the beta of CC3+!