Video mini-tutorials

RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
Hi folks, would you find mini-tutorials like this one generally useful? If yes, what mini-topics would you like to see covered?

Comments

• Yes, that was good. Your voice was soft for about a minute then louder for the rest of the video.

1) making moons in FT3

2) combining city or dungeon Annual issues into one set of tools.

My apologies, I cannot remember the other things I was looking for info on last month, but hadn't posted here.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2014
    Hi Ralf,

That was a fantastic tutorial. Short, to the point, and very helpful! Yes, I think future mini-webcasts would be very useful, either from you and PF, or even from the community!

Of course, now that you've asked, I'm drawing a complete blank as far as topics. I'm sure I'll think of something later though.

Thanks again, that was very informative!
    ~Dogtag
  • I really liked this tutorial too. I think it might be made even shorter: One tutorial for the custom tool, one tutorial for the half circle.
    And I second Dogtag suggestion to make it works for the community: Allow a centralized place where anyone can upload such short tutorials, and search into it, and I think it would make the learning curve of your software much smoother!

About topics, I'm sure many will present themselves in the forums... I have in mind an issue I have had with changing the text of a scale bar, that did not work when I tried Edit/Text/Edit text, but I had to do something else instead... And I can't remember what now :)
  • seycyrusseycyrus Traveler
    edited November 2014
    Nice videos!

The audio seems to be segmented to me, which is a bit distracting.
  • Posted By: RalfHi folks, would you find mini-tutorialslike this onegenerally useful? If yes, what mini-topics would you like to see covered?
    Yes, that was very nicely done!
    I'd like to see more about Cosmographer and Fractal Terrains.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: seycyrusThe audio seems to be segmented to me, which is a bit distracting.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "segmented". I'm sure I'm a bit too fast and not loud enough (especially at the start), but what problem are you referring to?
  • Although I think i've largely figured out how to fix it, two problems that I had a lot of trouble with early on were:

(1) How to fix errors in a Multipoly (i.e. when you get that nastly little line that runs through the shape because two lines intersect or don't match up right)

(2) How to get rid of those little artifacts that show up when you have two beveled shapes (on different sheets) on top of each other (i.e. the fix is to put a copy of the top shape with a solid color on its own sheet between the two shapes/sheets).

Also - Might be good to have a short tutorial on doing the shaded polys (for doing roofs and things like that). I think I have it figured out, but I still struggle sometimes...and its a really neat effect when done right.
  • Very Good - look forward to more.
  • Great video Ralf. I would cast a vote for videos on creating nice symbols, videos covering the properties of different tools and the command menu.
    JSM
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    edited November 2014
    Yes, that was very helpful. It not only showed me how to make a semi-circle room but I also got to see how an experienced user uses CC3.

And the audio was fine for me.
  • illuminatispyilluminatispy Traveler
    edited November 2014
    Yes!

I watch those tutorials and Joe Sweeney's tutorials on youtube quite often. They are very helpful.

I'd even be willing to pay for a more comprehensive video tutorial series covering subjects from the Tomb of Ultimate Mapping.
    The DVD of Ultimate Mapping?
    Thanks for the feedback folks. Prompted by some support questions, I've put together another 2 minutes, on editing a landmass.
  • Nice tutorial too! I had never noticed the (E) key when drawing the landmass.
    However, there seems to be a small glitch in the video: At the beginning, everything is fine, but after you first click on the landmass button (around 27s), the mouse cursor stops moving, for the rest of the tutorial, making it not so easy to follow what you do.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited December 2016
    Thank you Ralf! I just thought of a topic that I'd love to see addressed, and I've seen other people ask about it too.

I'd like to request/suggest a video on using an image file, such as a scanned hand-drawn map, as a reference for making a map in CC3, if you could please add that to the list.

Thanks,
    ~Dogtag
    Posted By: GatharNice tutorial too! I had never noticed the (E) key when drawing the landmass.
    However, there seems to be a small glitch in the video: At the beginning, everything is fine, but after you first click on the landmass button (around 27s), the mouse cursor stops moving, for the rest of the tutorial, making it not so easy to follow what you do.
    Ah yes, a strange glitch. The video software apparently stopped recording the cursor at that point. I'll see that I can fix this, or at least avoid it for future videos.