looking for ideas on large dungeons

I was trying to come up with ideas on changing my small 240 feet x 180 feet dungeon pieces into one large dungeon.

In Dwarf Home on Crestar, first level is 6 of these pieces, not too difficult to make one map.

But several of the levels consist of 30 to over 100 of these pieces.

The only idea I could come up with was to make a large area map of such levels, then do an image map that leads to detail maps of each room. That seems like a rather clumsy/long time to completion method.

Does anyone have better ideas ?

Thanks !

If you have never seen Dwarf Home, I'll provide a link so you can see it.

Dwarf Home site map

Comments

• 8 days later
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Looks pretty complicated maintaining all those different pieces. Do you really need to have them all individually on your site like that?
    I would serious consider drawing each level as one big CC3 map, then post an export of that on the site. Then, from the same map, do detailed exports of the most interesting areas, and link that from the main map (either using an image map, or simply named links below the main overview image).
    With everything as one large CC3 map, you can also easily zoom into any area you need later and export it, without having concern if this area is dived over two or more maps, like you risk in your current setup.
    To get optimal results, I would probably re-draw it in a new map as well, instead of copying existing lines & polygons and merging them.
  • I have been thinking of making maps that cover some amount of the current maps. As an example: Dwarf Home first level is 9 maps. I could map 6 of them on one map, then add to the remaining 3 so I have a larger 1st level made up of two maps.

Some of the level are very large, over several acres of rooms and passageways. Same thing, I could make larger maps and have fewer maps overall.

The maps originated as graph paper sheets I connected via placement.

I haven't decided which Annual dungeon style to make them in. The white on blue is okay on 1st level, but I want to add many more symbols.