Blowing out the map making cobwebs.

Gday all. A year or so ago... no must be longer than that....maybe 1 1/2 years ago I got stuck into CC3, mainly focusing on battlemaps for D&D. Things cooled off after that though and my CC3 skills gathered dust and began rotting away.

Luckily with the release of the 5th edition of D&D the fire is back and I've began reteaching myself how to use CC3. Also in anticipation of CC3+ I thought it would be a great time to re-school the map making skills.

Incidentally, if anybody is reading this from Christchurch New Zealand and is keen start up a D&D group (or if they have an existing group and are happy to include another person in their mid 30's) please let me know! Me and a friend are keen to play, but he will only be the occasional player so I would be keen to get into a friendly relaxed group who play a bit more regularly. There will be cool battlemaps :)

Anyways here is the result of lots of head scratching, Joe Sweeney youtube tutorials and pouring through the tomb of ultimate mapping. In my head I'm still working though the story associated with this dungeon, but at this stage, I think it will be in the basement of an abandoned mansion and will be the hangout for an evil mage and his cronies, were-rats maybe? Compulsory torture room and well trapped secret treasure room plus a rickety ladder descending into the unknown gloom...

Here is the link for the PDF if anybody wants it. The PDF is 100mb but has great resolution.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4ftwj1iqaueqzx/Reschooling 2.pdf?dl=0

Right, I cant remember if there are any tricks to attaching pictures, but here goes...First picture will be the whole map, then three zoomed in pictures of the main areas.

Critique welcome!

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Close up of the wizard's quarters and secret loot room
  • edited November 2014
    Close up of storage room and another room where you just don't want to be!
  • edited November 2014
    Guardhouse & giant rats (maybe)
  • edited October 2014
    This is a great map! I'm sure will be a blast to play in. (Looks like the trapped corridor will be a REAL blast, heh.)

I only have one suggestion and it's probably something you just over looked. The carpet in the wizard's room should not have a shadow and the chair and table on top of it should have shadows.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2014
    Mappy, I think someone posted in another thread that PNG image files display when attached. Perhaps JPG don't and that's why they show up as just attachments.

The map looks like a whole lotta fun. Suggestion: throw a couple of blood splatters on the floor of the torture chamber. Like Shessar mentioned about the carpet, though, just be sure to add them to a Symbols Flat sheet, or similar, so they don't cast shadows — unless they're blood slimes or something equally creepy!

Your map looks awesome! If you hadn't said so, I'd never guess you hadn't used the software in a while. Your players are lucky and they should have a blast.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited November 2014
    Thanks guys, I had missed the shadowy rug and did not know what the SYMBOLS FLAT sheet was actually for, but now I do! So a few things moved to that sheet and I also created a new sheet for some of the symbols that should have a different angled shadows due to the fire, close torches etc. Dangerous path that one though, it would be very easy to create countless new sheets for different angled shadows so I did not go too crazy. Also added a bit more gore to the torture room, you're right Dogtag, it should have been a bit more gruesome.

Couldn't sort out the problem of posting subsequent images after the first one, I tried a PNG but no luck, but at least they can still be downloaded and viewed.

I've updated the picture in the first post and updated the pdf too. Here is the .FCW file is anybody wants it for themselves. Might call this one finished I think. Next project is to grapple with creating complex walls, floors etc, gulp.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited November 2014
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Wonderful! Thanks for the sharing the FCW. It's always handy to have ready made maps for emergencies. :)
  • 16 days later
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2014
    I believe the culprit when it came to the images not showing was the '&' symbol in the filename, seems like the forum software doesn't like those. I reuploaded one of your images with this removed, and now they show.

Also, another hint for attachments: You don't need to post 4 consecutive posts to post 4 attachments. Simply create your post with one attachment, then post it. Now, simply hit the edit button on your post, and you can add an additional attachment to the same post. Rinse and repeat. I know, a bit more cumbersome than adding all 4 when initially creating the post, but just as simple as posting 4 posts in a row, and looks nicer IMHO. (You can also show the attachment anywhere in your post instead of the bottom if you use the [Image_00] tag, where 00 is the attachment id [you can see this if you edit a post with an attachment in it])
  • Thanks for sussing that out Monsen, I've filed it away in the brain case for future reference and changed the file names so the pictures are viewable now. Maps are never really finished are they; since first posting it I made a couple of changes, mostly just adding the texture to the grey surrounds and cobbled floor so I've updated the above FCW too.