You Might Be a Cartographer If...

1. You have ever actively searched for leaky multipolies and know that you won’t need a sponge.
2. You have any part of the Campaign Cartographer color palette memorized...108...110.
3. You regularly and routinely explode things without the slightest hesitation.
4. While planting flowers in your garden, you start from the back and move to the front so the petals overlap properly.
5. You own a family portrait done in Character Artist.
6. You have climbed the highest mountain (with your mouse) and swam the deepest ocean (with your mouse).
7. You moved mountains without breaking a sweat and still remain humble.
8. You know that 'sextant' isn't a dirty word.
9. Copy, Combine, And (Both), Color, Green, Do It! is a completely valid and proper sentence.
10. You have been mistaken for a parapsychologist while discussing entities in public.

Are there more? :)

AWizardInDallas.com

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    1 - check, 2 - check, 3 - check, 4 - hm, no garden, 5 - check, 6 - check, 7 - check, 8 - check, 9 - check, 10 - .... ... hm, no, not yet.

I think I qualify! :D

11. You know the difference between a layer and a sheet AND can explain it.
    12. Instead of "Turn on the lights!" you yell "Turn on the effects!"
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited September 2008
    Posted By: AWizardInDallas
    4. While planting flowers in your garden, you start from the back and move to the front so the petals overlap properly.
    ROTFLMAO!

Guilty of #4!

:)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    As long as you don't plant your flowers in random order and use FLOWERSORT on them then you're probably doing well enough.
  • Oooh, is there really a flower sort command?!
  • 13. You've worn a hole in the 'Change Properties' button because you keep drawing entities in the wrong color and/or on the wrong layer and keep forgetting to change your settings!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Funny stuff.

Have to admit, I am guilty of quite a few of those.

Posted By: AWizardInDallas13. You've worn a hole in the 'Change Properties' button
    Buttons??? I thought those were just for emergency use in case you wore out the keys on your keyboard... ;-)
  • 14. You spend hours following rivers and roads in Google Maps and feel it was time well spent
    15. When rearranging rooms you first draw a map in Dungeon Designer, and add Orcs
    16. You buy RPG Boxed Sets just to get the kewl maps
    17. You bought your first computer just to run Campaign Cartographer DOS!
  • 14. Google Earth for me.
    16. On eBay. ;)
    17. Wow! I still remember the nice adds in Dragon Magazine for CC DOS.

Bravo!
  • 18. If the coffee (or tea) stains on your kitchen counter look like they'd make excellent coastlines...
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited October 2008
    19. All your holiday pictures have been taken from a top-down or - even worse - isometric perspective.
    20. You love the "texture" of your wife's new dress.
    21. You consider Ikea as an excellent source of new symbols.
    22. You maniacally look for the delete entity and redraw buttons on your remote control when old, ugly politicians appear on television.
    23. You've always dreamed of seeing your neighbour's wife naked and think that "hide sheet" is the solution.
  • 24. When you visit a castle as tourist, you draw a sketch and make notes to draw a map in Dungeon Designer in future.
  • Posted By: ShadoWWW24. When you visit a castle as tourist, you draw a sketch and make notes to draw a map in Dungeon Designer in future.
    Worse: When visiting a castle, cathedral, etc. as a tourist you take a labtop with you and draw a DD3 map onsite.
  • 25. You TIVO the History Channel's shows like 'Lost Worlds' because of the cool CG towns and cities based on archeology in them to use a source materials for new maps.
    26.When traveling down a street you can tell which buildings were created randomly and which were made with the 'House' tool.
    27. When visitors to your home ask for directions you email them an .FCW and a link to download the CC viewer.
    28. CC3 is always the top of the list of recently opened programs and never falls below second.
    29. You have a hard time falling asleep because you worry if your 'sheets' are in the right order
    30. You anxiously await the day when your name is in the most active users column on the forum home page.
  • 31. When at work you look at something and think that it'd make an intresting dungeon/city/overland design (I work in a kitchen you'd be amazed at how some of that junk makes you go damned that'd be a nice map.. to bad I have to clean it!)
    32. You spend more then an hour a day on the Forums.
    33. You happly go through any PF release looking for bugs to report them so that Ralf and Simon can fix them with out complaint about them
    34. You start drooling at the thought of a version 3 release.
    35. You've put your computer into cpu or memory lock simply by drawing a map as 'detailed' as possible.
    36. You have built great cities.... then destroyed them in less then 2 hours.

ohh and of the existing:
    1. yes, 2. yes, 3. yes 4. yes, 5. No, 6. yes, 7. yes, 8. yes, 9. yes, 10. no but i have had people look at me weird, 11. yes.. a sheet contains the drawing order from bottom to top and controls the effects of a CC3 project, layers group togeather like objects for easy manipulation and hiding, they may also store certain data types such as when used with CD., 12. No because I tend to use effects at the 'end' to prevent my puters having melt downs while i'm working on a map.. even the 2gig machine tends to 'chug' with some of my maps :P, 13. keys and Buttons yes
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Posted By: AWizardInDallasOooh, is there really a flower sort command?!
    In my world, yes. I think the command dispatcher (my gardener) may be doing something behind my back to make all the petals overlap properly, though. In CCx I have to use SYMSORT which is similar in many respects in that the command dispatcher does something behind my back to make things overlap properly for the most part.
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited October 2008
    37. No one understands your godlike obsession to conjure up vast temple structures and massive cities, shape continental land masses and endless seas, form both terrestrial planets and rocky moons, and - as of recently - create entire star systems as well as gigantic galaxies...

PS For those who haven't yet noticed, issue 22 of The Cartographer’s Annual is out ;-)
  • 38. You really LOVE the "Genesis Sequences" in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
    39. You wouldn't say that you have godlike powers but you would say that gods have cartographer (as well as game master) like powers.

So there really is a symbol sort command? I have some naughty pine trees I'll have to try that on!