Town of Bluestone - WIP

This is the first town I have made in a while. It is called Bluestone and is named after the noble family in which the town belonged to several generations ago. It is a large town closing in on reaching city status and is the fourth most populated town/city in my region of the world of Krydel

Currently Effects are turned off till I finish it

Those small dots you see (7 in the diamond shaped area, 1 by the big round buiding, 1 by the grey patch along the main wall) are wells.

It is almost done. I want to add some fields and grazzing areas. Then some trees, a grid, text info and some effects (maybe some more buildings, but that is doubtful) and It'll be done.

Comments

• Hmmm... Unfortunately, I can't see the image...
  • This looks like a great start to a map. I will look forward to seeing it when you have added the fields etc.

Out of interest whats the story behind the unusual street layout ?
  • Does anyone have an idea why I can't see the image? I don't have a problem seeing other maps on these forums but the only thing visible in this thread (... at least to me) is the file name "Town_of_Bluestone_WIP4.PNG"...

Thanks,

Mogul
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2008
    Posted By: Mogul76Does anyone have an idea why I can't see the image? I don't have a problem seeing other maps on these forums but the only thing visible in this thread (... at least to me) is the file name "Town_of_Bluestone_WIP4.PNG"
    It is caused by the bug in CC3's PNG export functionality, which prevents firefox from displaying the image properly. Try another browser, and you should see the image.

The trick here is to never upload png images directly exported from CC3, but to load them in an image-editor first, and then re-save it from there
  • Safari has the same problem, apparently, as I can't see the image either.
    --Dale--
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2008
    Or save from CC3 as a bmp, and convert to png using Irfanview, which is a free copyrighted program.

Irfanview
  • First, I forgot about the bug so here it is converted to JPG by IrfanView (Thought I was the only one in the world who used it) so everyone should be able to see it now
    Posted By: RogerThis looks like a great start to a map. I will look forward to seeing it when you have added the fields etc.

Out of interest whats the story behind the unusual street layout ?
    The road to the right of the round building (Temple) leads to Bluestone Mansion. The road to the right of the temple leads to the City of Basciack 100 or 200 miles north of the town and capital of kingdom. The other main road leads through the territories of several (once important) important noble territories and to another kingdom (it isn't a cobblestone road outside of the town obviously) and to the south it leads to a trading outpost of the xenophobic elf kingdom(s) to the south.

As for the rest of the roads requires a little history of the kingdom and the town (which I havn't fully fleshed out yet but here goes the basics). The Kingdom of Basiack is a Feudal kingdom. The peasants pledge fealty to the local noble and the local nobles to the monarchs (thus a Feudal Kingdom). Bluestone was a feudal territory belonging to a now extinct noble family and is called Bluestone because there is an underground fresh water source in the area. Being the territory closest to the Elven kingdom much trade came through the village and eventually grew into a town under the direct control of the noble family. During the civil war which led to the current family being in power as Monarchs (anywhere from 4-7 generations ago, haven’t decided on full timeline yet)there were three factions vying for control of the kingdom. The old monarchs, the current monarchs, and the noble family who owned Bluestone. This noble family was particularly brutal and evil and as punishment control of there territories, with the exception of the manor itself and just a small plot of land around it was taken away from them and the towns people pledged their fealty to the Monarchy (quite willingly and happily actually). Not long after the king was touring the kingdom and the noble family attempted to assassinate the king while he was visiting Bluestone. It failed and the head of the family was killed. The rest of the family was killed by a mob of townsfolk not long afterwards.

Because of the trade in the town and its virtual freedom from the normal feudal system the town continued to grow. On the main road (connecting the other kingdom and Elven kingdom(s) many towns many shops, inns and taverns opened up. A bazaar (the gray splotch) grew and became important to the town. The reason the town grew in the East (the diamond shape area) is because the area to the west was a large farm and the owner wouldn't sell the land so it could only grow to the right until recently. That is the reason it is still a town and not a city.

That answer the questions for the road? (For full understanding the whole history of the area of the world which I am creating is kinda needed)
  • Thanks for posting the background info I always find that sort of thing interesting. I also find it helps me understand how the town has/will develop.

Regards...
  • Great work with the background. I think the best maps have a bit of history helping them be more organic. Its very true that many towns grew at major cross roads especially trade roads. I am wondering why all the streets are straight and angular. I think that's what Roger was getting at with his question. Towns that grow from a central point tend to follow the nearby topography as they spread. Even the planned Roman towns tended to be less angular the further from their start points you go. It could be pretty intresting if the reason is something like a local law stating all streets are to be made at specific angles to honor the gods or something like that.
  • Because of how the farmland was laid out when roads were being built is how the roads were constructed. There would have been more angles at random spots in the roads but the random street tool doesn't do well around alot of randoms twists and turns in roads
  • JoeyD473JoeyD473 Betatester 🖼️ 2 images Traveler
    I'm still working on it but I have finished adding buildings and fields. I added trees and some more wells. Right now I am working witht eh demographics of the buildings then I will a grid, labels and some text. I have adjusted the sun effects (though I havn't made the png version with effects on yet)