Layer keeps changing

Hello everyone,

Posting here because I'm having a problem with CC3.

I've started a new map, and have set up a background image to trace over (on its own layer and sheet). On top of that, I've then created a new layer to place the landmasses I'm tracing.

I've created a custom Sheet and Layer, both called 'continents' (for consistency). I have each selected as 'current'. However, when I select the 'landmass' tool and begin to draw,the layer keeps changing to 'RELIEF, CONTOURS'. I don't want the land masses on that layer. I want them on the 'continent' layer I created, so I can better track where I have what.

Why does CC3 keep changing the layer like that? It's like it's trying to decide for me where my work should be going, which is rather irritating. Is this a bug, or is it supposed to select these things for you? And if it's intended, then what's the point of letting me create my own sheets/layers, if CC3 is just going to say "Nope! WE will decide how your map is created!" and change it?

Any help/explanation is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• If you righ click on drawing tools, then click "advanced>>", you will be able to customize the tool (you may want to create a copy, and modify the copy). Then, in the "properties" dialog, you can decide on which layer the toll will draw (including using the currently selected layer).
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The drawing tools have preset layers that they place the entities they create. This is for consistency and ease of use, but you can change it.

Click the All Drawing tools button and then the "Advanced" option. Locate the "Land, Default" drawing tool and click the "Properties" button. There you can set where the landmass is supposed to end up in the drawing, both for the layer and the sheet.
  • Hello everyone,

Thank you for the info/help. That was driving me nuts lol.

I can see why they'd have things setup as a 'default' configuration. For myself, I have a certain naming convention that I follow when working on stuff, certain layer names, groupings, etc.. So I'd rather be able to customize the setup to that, so I can better keep track of what's what/where.

Thanks again!