Auto filling in climate terrain

I have exported a climate map of my main continent, is there a way to tell cc3 to fill in one of the climate colors with a terrain?
Say fill in yellow which is desert with the desert terrain type.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yes, you can do that. Right-click the Change Properties button and choose "Change like drawtool". Right-click to select the "Terrain Default, Desert" drawing tool, the select the desert climate entities (e.g. by color). Right-click, Do it, and the selected entities should change to the desert terrain fill style.
  • Cant seem to just select the climate region, you mean drag to select correct?
  • If i try to select a climate area but stay inside the borders of it then it wont select that region, if i try to select outside the region and drag over it, then it fills in more regions then i want it to
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You need to click the edge of the polygon you want to change. Perhaps multiple areas are included as one multipoly? You might want to post your map here, so we can take a look.
  • It worked for me. I believe you're hitting one of the key things to learn about CC3: How to select exactly what you want. Once you have this, the application really opens up and is easy (ish) to use. Before that, it's tough.

What I did:
    1) Clicked on the "Change Properties" icon
    2) Clicked on the edge of one of the climate areas. When I did this, it selected that climate and the one next to it. Significantly, the command line (at the bottom of the screen) said "Select entities (2 picked)" But I only wanted one entity. So I need to unselect the one I don't want.

Since I'm in selection mode (because the command line says "select entities") I can right-click anywhere on the screen and I get a menu -- this is a really powerful way to control exactly what is selected. I hover over "Combine" and it shows me "And" "Or" and "Not". Whichever of these are selected determines what happens with my next selection. Since I want to get rid of one selected area, I'll click on "Not", then I'll select the edge of the entity I DON"T WANT to change.

Now I should be showing 1 entity picked.

3) Do it and change the fill style in the dialog.

Does that make sense? That pop-up window will allow you to select by color or fill style, or a host of other things. It's really powerful and once you get a handle on it using CC3 will become much, much easier.

Steve
  • Play with it a little. Once you get the hang of it, you could select all contours of a specific color, which are probably all the same height, and change their color all at once. Or you may have two entities that are on top of each other but different colors -- you can click to select both, then right-click to NOT select one by color, getting you back to the one you want.

THe best way to learn here is to try the tutorials (I'm assuming you've worked through them) and then play with CC3.

Steve