Sheets and Layers confusion

I've started to get slightly more technical now and learnt how to make sure that everything is on the correct sheet and the sheets are in the right order to show what I want. I've even managed some of the sheet effects for shading and lighting objects. My confusion comes as there are layers as well as sheets, is each sheet divided into layers or visa versa, or is it just variations of the same thing. Can some one suggest what type of things should go an a sheet and what should be on layers.

Hopefully someone can clarify this for me.

Comments

• edited September 2014
    look at the help files sheets are stacked in order with effects apliable and layers are similar but not in order.

ie you can put gm info(like position of monsters) in a layer or technical data needed for building exact maps(like it is often done in dungeon building ie positioning of doors, torches).

sheets are in order and there you can add terrain features that you want to have different graphical effects, ie small trees and big trees, you can give the small trees a shorter shadow effect than the bigger ones, so that you can put them together that they seem to be of different height.
  • Symbols go on both sheets and layers. Some houses have multiple layers.

sea
    land
    mountains
    towns

are the sheet order they are drawn.

So if you want to add a lake:

sea
    land
    lake
    mountains
    towns

That way the lake is on top of the land. not under it. Even though it is below the land level in real life.