Best Map & Grid Spacing Size When Making A Character Sheet

I'm trying to make an 8 1/2 x 11character sheet using CC3 and I'm wondering what is the best map size to use, Grid setting, & font sizes to use for doing this?

The last time I made a character Sheet using CC3 was several years ago and I forgot what settings I used to make it exactly.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2014
    Hmm, interesting! It never occurred to me to use CC3 for that. I think entities and symbols scale according to the units used in the map template. If so, it might be easiest for you to create a map scaled to one unit (miles, feet, kilometers, or meters) per inch (or centimeter) of paper. Then all entity sizes can be set as fractions of an inch (or cm). For example, if your template is 8.5 feet x 11 feet, then a square grid of .25 x.25 would be quarter-inch grid.

You might want to choose a size for the character sheet "map" that matches the expected printable area and does not include margins, so it will (should?) print without resizing to fit.

Hopefully someone else who knows for sure can confirm or correct that. But, in the meantime, it may be worth trying out.

Cheers,
    ~ Dogtag
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    As a European I always use millimeters for drawing units in these cases. That way an A4 sheet would be 210 × 297 units in size, and I know exactly how it will look in print.
  • Thanks.

Any recommendations on what to set my font size to? I'm using a 210x297 unit size map set to millimeters that Ralf recommended. I used the Abstract graphics Annual to set up the map and just changed the drawing units to millimeters.
  • Hi,

I also use CC3 to do my character sheets (see here or below.)

I use the 210x297 drawing area.

Regarding fonts, I always find that I need a lot of info to place on the sheet so my advice would be to use a fancy font for the large sized text but something more classic for the smaller text (ie Arial).
    FDP1.jpg 174.5K
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Here is one of my examples, a character sheet for my old FUDGE Jhendor campaign. It uses the ubiquitous "Papyrus" font.