Cannot delete layers

As the title says. I select a layer, hide and freeze all other layers, SHOW all Sheets (so no entities are hiding on a hidden sheet), use the erase command to delete everything on the map that is on that layer.

But, after doing so, when I try to delete the layer itself, it says it can't, and pops up an error message box saying the layer "has entities on it" as the reason why it can't delete the layer.

Any idea what's wrong here? Just wanted to delete some layers that I made a while back to test some things, but that I'm no longer using.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    There are some system entities that you can't erase, for example custom palettes and sheet effect listing. Use LIST and select all on the layer to see whether something like that is on the layer. If there are such entities there, move them to a different layer to be able to delete the layer.

Or it is possible that a symbol has an entity on the layer. As the symbol reference will be on a different layer, you can't directly delete or edit these. To fix this, type CS at the command (for Correct Symbols). This should move ALL symbol parts to the SYMBOL DEFINITION layer. Be careful if you are using symbols that need parts on different layers.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Did you unfreeze/unhide the other layers before deleting? Maybe you can't delete the currently-selected layer?
  • This is probably stating the obvious, but make a copy of your map before investigating what's going on. I can't tell you how many times I've tiptoed into something like this, only to muck up something I didn't want to. Having a copy of the original map will save you trouble in the long run.
  • I am having this problem too, with a layer i have renamed as 'z'. It has no entities on it, even with the LIST command. And I do not truly understand Ralf's comment about the CS command. Does it only apply to symbols in the offending layer, or to all symbols.
    CS works on ALL symbols in the map, that's why I suggested to be careful when you have special symbols in your map. Normally it shouldn't be a problem though. Make a backup copy first, or post your map here, so we can take a look at it.
  • CielCiel Traveler
    So I used the "List" command on one of the layers I can't delete. Info > List > right click > Layer > select the layer I can't delete. It then says "31 entities selected." On the other layer I can't delete, the same process yields 1 entity.

So, the obvious conclusion is that you were right Ralf, and there are some of these "hidden" entities, that I can then move to a different layer (if I am correct, I can go Change Layer > right click > Layer > select the layer the hidden entities are on, which will select them so they can be moved). Making a backup of my map is all well and good (thanks for mentioning that sdavies - I always do before messing with anything unknown, but it's good to remind people of this; it can save you from disaster!), but what ARE these entities? What do they do? Could moving them have unexpected effects on anything later? Would like to know if it's possible to determine the answer to those questions first...
    What does LIST say when you "Do It" after selection, what type of entities are they? Most likely they are accidental copies of things like the custom palette or the sheet effect list (CC3 uses these to store the necessary information). Moving them over to another layer should have no effect on the drawing at all.