"High Space SciFi Tiles" - Free annual issue, location and use

Just picked up CC3 and COS3 a few days ago. Really, really liking working through the tutorials (especially Mr. Sweeney's). I was looking through the annuals and saw the July 2012 one (I picked up CC3 and COS3 primarily for the sci-fi components). Working my way through the pro fantasy site I came across the "The Cartographer’s Annual – Free Samples" page and saw the July 2012 one was one of the free samples. I've installed the .exe but I'm not entirely sure how to locate the symbols and textures. For example Mr. Sweeney uses a damaged hull symbol in his High Space Battlemaps, tutorial 2 but when I right-click on the hull section it looks like the only ones I have are the ones that came with the original COS3 install. Do I need to purchase the actual July 2012 annual for bitmap symbols and tiles? Certainly willing to do that but wanted to check first if it was necessary. In advance, many thanks!

Comments

• I think your getting 2 different annuals confused.

The Dungeon Battle Tiles 36B is one of the free ones.

The High Space Battlemaps, just has the tutorials available for free download or viewing online as they videos aren't in the .exe for that annual for space reasons.

The High Space Battle Maps use many of the things that were part of the Dungeon Battle Tiles tutorials and free issue.

Dungeo Battle Tiles download link and videos are at.

http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2009/special09.html

Make sure you download the zip of tutorials as they are better resolution ones than the You Tube Ones. (Yeah, the tutorial videos are separate download too and aren't in the .exe. Also you can easily overlook the download link for the zip of them)

You can use the advice he gives in the High Space Batlemaps without that annual but you need that annual for the High Space symbols and tiles.

Also, do note that the full free annual issues aren't included in the exe for that annual so the 2009 .exe for example doesn't have The Dungeon Battle Tiles in it. In acse you do pick up any Annuals in the future.
  • Thank you! So, to get all of the titles I would need this one:

http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2012/july12.html

Which means picking up this annual:

http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2012/index.html

Is that right?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Did you remember to start your drawing on one of the Annual SciFi Tiles templates? These new fill styles are only available in these templates, not the regular Cos3 ones (Although you can always import fill styles using the Tools -> Import bitmap fill styles, but these are usually separated out in their own templates because the do not match with the style of the default ones.
  • Monsen - Whoops. I didn't even think to look at that. Now I see the tiles and fill styles. Thanks! Follow-up question, please: Are the symbols there, too? Or solely in the annual?
  • Yep, that the one you want the July & October issues in it have High Space tiles.

And, you just have to download the 2 zips of Tutorials for the July one.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2014
    As far as I know, everything should be included. Note that most of the symbols from this pack is signs and floor text symbols, the rest of the symbols seen in the examples are core Cos3 symbols.

Edit: Since JAY_Nola brings up the October issue. This issue expands on the original July issue, but is NOT a free issue. To get this issue, you will have to purchase the entire annual for that year.
  • Many thanks guys! Have a great weekend :)