Glow + Transparency = No transparency

Dear All,

I am trying to make an object with a glow transparent. When I do that the transparency does not work. If I turn off the glow the transparency works as expected.

I recreated the problem in a clean map with only a floor and a black circle.

With transparency and NO glow

Comments

• Any Ideas on what is going on?

Kind regards,

Xander
  • edited August 2014
    Posted By: XanderAny Ideas on what is going on?
    I thinks the Glow effects works like it adds a layer of a colored (here black), blurred, copy of your shape beneath that shape.
    You can reverse the order of your effect, placing the transparency under the glow (from your examples, I guess the transparency is the first effect.)
    However, you will still get a neat marked circle area because inside that shape the glow and the circle stack.

I believe the best solution would be to make a bigger circle and use the Edge Fade, Inner effect.
  • The last one was Blur first then transparency

The following one is transparency first then blur... that one is a lot better but there is a sharpish circle edge as you predicted

I'll try playing with edge fade inner as well. The problem is that I want to use it on symbols not just circles. I presented the circle because it is a lot easier to see what happens.

I'll do some more experiments with fades and seperate glow layers for symbols and report back.

Thanks