Creative MAssive Continents?

Howdy,

CC3 Noob here, working on a full (redonkulously large) world map, drawing over an image i made in photoshop. Got all the islands/small continents and such done, but when i try to draw over either of the two big continents, whenever i get about 80-90% done it's like the land drawing tool runs out of memory and doesn't record any of my clicks after a certain period. So when i try to finish it most of the detail becomes land, but the last bit acts as if i never drew it, and instead just has a big straight line going from where i started and where the tool stopped recording what i was doing.

I'm assuming the continent i'm trying to create is just too big for the program to keep track of in one go? I'd do one half and then the other, but then rather than combining into one big green landmass there's always an overlap line between the two halves, and i have no idea how to get rid of it.

Pretty much stuck on this project til i can get the continents done, so any help either making the tool keep track of a huge drawing, or some technique to combine two halves of a landmass without the big distracting line between the pieces would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• DkarrDkarr Traveler
    Are you sure you are not clicking in an area that falls outside of the delineated MAP BORDER? I have seen this type of behavior when inadvertently I have started to draw entities outside the border. These entities don't add any more nodes.
  • Yeah, there are islands and such outside of the continental areas, it also has the big default map border around the whole thing past the seas.
  • Drawing tools don't typically go outside the map border sheet/layer.
  • Is your coastline heavily fractalized? I seem to remember there being a limit to how many nodes CC3 can handle. I can't remember exactly what that limit is. Let me hunt around the forums to see if I can find the thread I'm remembering.
  • I too found that there was a maximum number of nodes that could be handled at once when I was trying to use the fractal lines to create my labyrinth competition map. It just reaches a point where it refuses to add any more node into memory.

To avoid the overlap when doing the continent in two halves, when you reach the other side of the continent press the left arrow key until you reduce the number of points in the fractal line to minimum, and then press the down arrow until the line straightens up. It's far simple to match to straight lines.
  • I got around the node number problem by dividing my coastline into several segments, and then joining them together. It seems to work.
    The other thing is making sure your whole picture to trace is within the map border. From what you have said, it sounds as if it isn't.
  • How did you join the bits together, though, whenever i tried I get the massive overlapping line i can't get rid of, like i said.
  • I'm not sure - can you post the file (or email me if too big on quenten2911@gmail.com)
  • To join together paths, use the Combine (CMB) command (I'm not at my mapping computer so hopefully this is enough to get you going). It will ask you to select the first and second paths. Once you do this, check the command line -- you can toggle which end of the first path is connected to which end of the second path. I think it's the "F" and "S" keys, for "First" and "Second." If you play around with it you'll quickly see what's going on -- CC3 gives you the option to connect the two paths whichever way you want.

If this doesn't get you going again, reply again and someone will help.

Steve