Font for Annual 78, Comic Book Maps

Apparently i don't have that font, it is loading a fairly neutral one instead, and that lessens the effect considerably.

Can anyone name the font so i can find it? i could probably hunt something that would look close, but i'm a bit of a purist would like to use the right one if i could.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Actually, I'm having a similar problem. I made a quick map in the hopes of helping you out. The font properties listed the font as Arnold 2.1. If that's the font, however, it is a very generic-looking sans serif font, along the lines of Helvetica.

Anyone else have this problem or know what might be happening?

Thanks,
    ~Dogtag
  • The font most likely didn't install correctly or has a problem with the OS you are using seeing. Microsoft also made changes with some latter OS on how font metadata is handled so some fonts don't work correctly even if installed correctly because of this. You need to get an updated version of the font in that case.

I had a problem with a few fonts from annuals not showing up and made a huge post that gave some info on resolving font issues since I saw some older posts in which people reported similar problems with fonts. See the info in that thread and see if it helps.

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4325&page=1#Item_7
  • i've seen a bit, but if i at least knew what font it was using, i could doublecheck the install and make it work. i have a few i can see that seem to approximate it, but aren't the same font, and i'd just like to be able to use the right one. i do have some that i've had to tweak, but it's not unworkable.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The font file, called "ARNORG__.TTF" should be in the CC3 program folder under "Fonts". We always include copies of the new fonts in there, in case they don't install properly.
  • found it and was able to get it installed fine, it loads properly now, Ralf, thanks tons. I will doublecheck the fonts folder any time anything like this comes up again.
    Same here. Reinstalled the font and now it works as expected. Thanks Ralf.

~Dogtag
  • On the reinstall of the font did you make sure to remove the old font first? Just reinstalling it will make a duplicate of the font file in the font folder with the registry entry pointing to the duplicate version's name. The font will work but doing this can cause some problems in the long run with stability on Windows according to Microsoft.

You have to go and fix the registry entry for the font so it points to the original one that is installed and remove the duplicate font file if you reinstalled it with out removing the old version to make sure Windows won't have this problem.

Every time you reinstall a font it will make a duplicate font of the font file and the registry entry will change to point at the new duplicate.

Your font folder will not show the duplicate copies unless you do what I mention in the thread I posted, Microsoft changed up some stuff in regards to how the font folder works in latter version of Windows.

In the thread post I mentioned in my previous I went into detail about how to do this as I spent a good bit of time talking with Microsoft tech support and researching the font problem with regards to newer version of Windows.
    edited August 2014
    Hi Jay,

Thanks for posting all that research. I hadn't deleted the original and, as you said, Windows placed a second copy in the Fonts folder. I checked the registry — at the location you posted — and then deleted the copy that the registry did not point to. Everything seems good for now but, if it messes up again later, I now know how to proceed. Thanks again for sharing what you discovered.

~Dogtag
  • 3 years later
  • I hate to bring up an old thread, (I was searching for the answer first ;0)) but I was curious about the symbol folders for the same annual. When I downloaded the Comic Book files, it only provides me .fsc files. I am curious why that is - is that intentional or should I re-install? I have almost all of the annuals and I like to check them out outside of the program - call it old habit - it's just how I strategize my map making. Just curious if there's a way to look at all of the symbols in one go rather than categorically in the CC Plus program.

Thanks!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    All symbols for that annual are vector-symbols only, meaning they are embedded in the symbol catalogs, so only way to view them is in CC3+ itself.

Moderator note: Also, in the future, please start a new topic instead of resurrecting an ancient one, especially when your question isn't related to the the original questions, which was about font issues.