Can a plank, curved road be created?

I'm hoping to take a road vector and use a plank type fill to create a long dock along a winding seaside. Is it possible to do something like this?

Comments

• I'd love to know how to do this as well.
  • illuminatispyilluminatispy Traveler
    edited August 2014
    I'm not the author of this script file. The authors name is Morgan Olden. I have attached a sample of its output bellow. Put the the script in your CC3 directory. Draw the smooth path you wish to convert. To run the script go to tools/macros/script file navigate to your CC3 directory and select the script. Follow the prompts in the lower left corner for default or custom colors and width. Select the path you drew when prompted. I've tested the script in CC3 it works.
  • illuminatispyilluminatispy Traveler
    edited August 2014
    Seems the macro is to long for the forum to display the entire text I've attached it as a txt file. Rename to bordwalk2.scr and place in CC3 directory.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You can also use the "Symbols Along" command (Draw menu) to do something like this. See the screenshot below for the needed settings and the result you get. It uses the Planks symbol from the DD3 debris catalog
  • Looks like the "Symbols Along" command should work perfectly for docks.

Thanks for the help!
  • 2 months later
  • I'm having trouble getting the Symbols along to work. As I understand it, I make the selections on the menu shown, then select the item to be the 'along' part. For some reason, I'm not able to select anything and have the planks appear. Am I missing a step? What selection method are you using for this?

Thanks!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited November 2014
    Here's a quick run-down of how to use this amazing, powerful, command.

To use the escarpment ("Symbols Along") command:
    1. Draw the entity you want to use as a guide. Be sure it's a color you can see on the background. You may want to place it on a layer by itself to make it easy to delete later.
    2. Switch to the layer and sheet you want the symbol to be on.
    3. Select Draw>Symbols Along from the menu, or type ESC and press Enter.
      The Escarpment dialog displays, as shown in Ralf's post, above.
    4. If the symbol you want to use is not displayed in the dialog box, click Browse to find the symbol catalog you want to use (catalog files have an .FSC extension). To use the planks in Ralf's example above, for instance, browse to \Symbols\Dungeons\DD3\DD3 Color\Debris.FSC.
      Note: This symbol catalog comes with DD3.
    5. Pick the symbol you want from the list of symbols in the Escarpment dialog box.
    6. Set the desired options (click the Help button or see other documentation for details).
    7. Click OK.
    8. Now, select the guide you drew.
      BAM! Way-cool symbol layout.
    9. Delete the guide you drew in step 1.
    I hope that helps,
    ~Dogtag
  • 7 days later
  • 10 months later
  • edited September 2015
    I'm just starting a city and need *everything* circular apart from the residences. Is there a way of drawing concentric circles or elipses easily? I struggle to copy in drawing.

Helen
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    On the menu bar, select Draw -> Offset , that does exactly what you want.