Battle Tiles, wall shadows and the not responding error

Dear all,

I was making some outdoor battle tiles. All went well until I started adding wall shadows...

If I turn on the wall shadow effect on one sheet. CC3/DD3 will finish rendering the image although it takes its time given the diminuitive size of the map. If I add another sheet with the wall shadow effect CC3 starts toggling between "non responding" and normal map loading behaviour never to finish rendering.

I get this toggling error occasionally on other maps. restarting CC3 and/or my computer solves the problem. In this case however the error persists.

I played around with it and the weird thing is that even if the second sheet is EMPTY the error occurs. I also tried recreating a similar map and the same error occured. Other maps (far larger and containing multiple sheets with the wall shadows effect) that I made from scratch finish rendering as normal.

Can anyone help me with this?

I will attach one of the offending mapfiles

Kind regards,

Xander

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I cannot reproduce the problem on your map, but I do run into it occasionally. It is a known problem and we are working on fixing it.

The workaround is to let CC3 sit in the background for a little while (not displaying it). If it's not on the screen, the refresh loop will stop. Another help can be to restart CC3, that usually stops or reduces the problem for me.
  • On my PC, effect rendering 'freezes' every single time without fail, it doesn't matter what the effects are or how complicated they are. As soon as I want to render effects I now just open a web browser in full screen as a matter of course. This takes the focus away from CC3 and it generally takes 30-60 seconds of CC3 being hidden in the background for the effects to render. It sometimes takes longer if there is a lot of effects but this trick has never once failed to do the job. If it's not rendered when you click back to check, just pull your browser back up and keep doing something else on the web for another 30 seconds while you wait.
  • I agree with Ralf and 01i. Though it doesn't freeze EVERY single time for me, even though my main map is huge.
  • 8 days later
  • A watched map never renders?

Well... that trick doesn't work for me. The cycle stops while I am doing something else but restarts as soon as I turn back to CC. The problem persists but occasionally, every 4 boots, I do manage to get wall shadows on battle tiles... Bigger maps are generally no problem.

I've solved the problem in another way though...

I've realised that you don't actually want directional shadows on battle tiles because with those on your map you can't rotate them to suit your needs anymore.