Modular board game tiles

So, I figure this is a really easy thing to do, but I'm not sure how to go about measuring WYSIWIG modular hexagonal and square tiles (battle tiles excluded) that will print at the size I need. In this case, I need hexagons that measure 1.5" from one face to its opposite. Is there a tool that lets you know the distance as it will be when printed rather than in regards to the map scale? My assumption is that there is and that I've just been using the wrong tools for the job. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• You set this when you print. First measure (distance command) the distance across the hex in your map. Let's say it's 1.5 miles. Then when you go to print, in the scaling section, select "Scale Factor" and enter in the paper distance (say 1.5" -- CC3 understands units), and in the drawing distance enter the distance you got above (1.5 miles).

Preview it to make sure it's what you're thinking. Despite the clear marking, I ALWAYS put the map distance in the first box and the paper distance in the second (WHICH IS NOT RIGHT). Preview will save you paper.

It's a neat system. When you're working in the map you can focus on the map and its scale. It's only when you go to output it on paper that you then worry about what size that should be on paper. So, for instance, you could create a map and print it once for 1"=5' (see, I always think paper first), then print it again for 1.5"=5'. No need to rescale the map.

If that's still confusing, post again and we'll try to help.

Steve