Where is the layer manager / draw-order manager?

So I'm getting a bit further with this program and ran into what I hope is just a simple matter of "click here."

Where is the layer manager to control rendering order? I created a map, and when I started dropping mountains, for some reason they dropped underneath the CONTOURS layer in the draw order. I cannot figure out how to easily move layers up and down the draw order. I can figure out how to move sheets up and down to manage the way effects render, but not the vector layers themselves. In other GIS/vector tools such as QGIS/GRASS or ArcGIS, this is done via the 'contents' window that lets you drag/drop layers to rearrange the draw order.

I figured it would be done in the little "L:" info box at the top that lets you select what layer you're working on, but it's not there.

I also tried the "Bring to front/forward" buttons but those didn't do it either - even though I had the RELIEF/CONTOURS layer selected, it wouldn't actually select the contour polygon, it just fumbled around with trying to select the mountain symbols instead (but still didn't put them on top of the CONTOUR layer).

This is super basic geographic vector management stuff, I hope I'm just missing something simple. Help appreciated!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    CC3's rendering order is controlled through the "sheets" - "layers" are more of a content management feature. Click the "Sheets and Effects" button or on the "S: NAME OF SHEET" field at the top of the screen.

You'll see the drawing sheets listed in the order they are drawn in, meaning the topmost sheet is drawn first and therefore appears behind everything else.

Hope that helps!
  • Ah, okay! It also helped to go through the rest of the youtube tutorials... I was misunderstanding the sheet order. I figured the ones at the top rendered last - so I had it reversed in my mind. Problem solved! Thanks!
  • Yes, it's unfortunate that the top ones are the ones that render first. It makes sense logically, and it makes sense for PF not to change it now, but for anyone who thinks visually (or sees the sheets as sheets of acetate), it would make more sense if the bottom ones were render first (as if they were on the bottom of the stack).

But once you have it, it works well. Then you use the layers as logical groupings.

Steve
  • I use the layers for things like different contour colors, with sheets as land or land features for the sheet order of contours.