Tome of Ulitimate Mapping problems doing the "big edit" p42-44

Hi All,
After owning most of the products I finally invested in the tome of ultimate mapping and I'm working my way through it. I've hit a snag trying to follow the directions.

Previous instructions were designed to copy some of the entities so that could transfer them to a new file. Then I had to create a new file to place them in.

So I managed to follow all the instructions on the big edit. I even managed to remove the red box from the edit. However, when I open up a new file to transfer in my copied entities it doesn't work and the command line doesn't read the way it is supposed to.

So step 11 says
"from the edit menu select paste. The command prompt indicates it is looking for a placement point. Type 0,0 then hit enter."
However, when I do this nothing happens:
My command prompt reads exactly the same thing both before and after and nothing shows on my screen.
command prompt reads:
"Place (Shift=15 (degree symbol) Rot. Shift+Ctrl=Rot, Ctrl=Scale"

I'm completely confused. Any idea what I'm missing?

Comments

• just a guess from what i'm reading, but it sounds familiar. Do remember, it is mentioned but not stressed enough that when you copy, use the file menu command, not the icon in the taskbars. The taskbar copy does not copy to clipboard, and doesn't leave the data available for transfer. another point may be to keep an eye on the size of the data being copied over, if the new map is too small or too large compared to the data being moved over, the lines indicating the 'to be pasted' component may be too small to see or so big they are off the visible map. however, i'd double check the file menu command first.
  • Hi Farrin,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I used the file menu command under edit so I don't think that is it.

I'll make sure I got the settings in the new map correct and the size of the data correct to make sure I didn't accidentally create a size discrepancy.
  • 8 days later
  • It was indeed the sizing. The entity got copied but it was gigantic and it posted to be invisible to the tempate they suggested. I'm currently modestly stuck on how to trim the entity. I've managed to erase the main landmass and create a new one that is smaller but somehow doesn't exactly resemble the landmass they had me create with the trace command. Same with the landmass/mountains entity. I'm considering my next step to be to just open up the polygon and split them into a new entity more carefully sized.
  • OK I'm stuck with something silly. I followed the instructions in the page exactly.
    Currently the entities I copied and trimmed are at the top of the map with the border at the bottom corner. There is a single long thin line on both the land mass and the mountains going from the top of the map to the top of the border in the map.

I tried editing out that node to get back within the square but it won't let me edit it. I tried breaking it into two enties so I could erase the "extra" Everything I try erases the top land mass or just doesn't work at all. Is there possibly a command that lets you select a square and then cuts the entities along that square.