Question about EULA and Video Games

I have been using ProFantasy for a few years now as a personal hobby creating maps for a private table top game (not for profit). recently, though, I have gotten the urge to begin designing my own video game and I would really like to use the maps I have made in the game as world maps for an RPG. If (big "if") I decide to release the game for profit I would like to know if I can do so.

I have read the EULA and read a few forum posts that talk about this subject, but, because I want to release a product that is predominantly software based I wanted to run it by the people here to see how that works. At worst I guess I can just ask for permission and get something in writing maybe?

some things to consider are that I might want to create separate sprites for individual objects that use some of the Annual artwork to make animations in the game as well as using the artwork to create tile sets to generate maps dynamically while the game is being played. there will be NO in game export of the artwork or the generated maps, so I am not trying to re-distribute the artwork, they will just be for aesthetics and in-game purposes. Of course people will always be able to take screenshots I guess.

Its a unique enough situation that I thought I would ask first.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Sorry, you can't use individual assets (like texture or symbols) from our products in your software, only aggregate maps/drawings you've created. For example you could create a set of detailed map tiles and dynamically arrange them in your program to create random maps, but you can't use symbols to make sprites or build maps on the fly. You would need a special license from us to allow that.

Note also that this is not limited to commercial endeavours, the license does not differentiate between commercial and non-commercial products in that regard. As long as you don't distribute your software you are free to do what you like, of course.
  • edited July 2014
    Thanks for the response. so I just want to make sure I understand the nuances of the license...

at this point I think a procedurally generated map is beyond my programming skills (for the moment) so that idea is off the table. however, if I use the profantasy software to create my own maps, I can export them as a .png or .jpg and use those as my world's map (as a background image or something?) I believe that trying to import a 4000x3000 pixel .jpg would cause a huge performance hit on the game vs. building a similar sized map with tiles and sprite objects which would look exactly the same when done.

also, I am a bit confused about using the resources to "create a set of detailed map tiles" but I "can't use symbols to make sprites". is there a size limitation on the size of "detailed map tiles"? I am using Game Maker Studio software to make a 2D top-down RPG-like game and the studio is sort of set up to generate backgrounds using tiles of 16x16 or 32x32 pixels to generate large areas of background (like ocean or grass).

would I be able to create a 32x32 pixel tile using a grassy texture and some tree symbols (or mountains or caves, etc), export it as a picture in .png format and then use that in my game to build a world (background), assuming that world is static and does not visually change? or another idea would be to take 3 or 4 different tree symbols, change some settings like add some scaling, alter the colors and add some sheet effects (all done through pro-fantasy CC) and then exported that as a .png. would that be acceptable? I agree that using the base tree symbol as-is would raise some eyebrows and I would not do that.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: soldynewould I be able to create a 32x32 pixel tile using a grassy texture and some tree symbols (or mountains or caves, etc), export it as a picture in .png format and then use that in my game to build a world (background), assuming that world is static and does not visually change? or another idea would be to take 3 or 4 different tree symbols, change some settings like add some scaling, alter the colors and add some sheet effects (all done through pro-fantasy CC) and then exported that as a .png. would that be acceptable? I agree that using the base tree symbol as-is would raise some eyebrows and I would not do that.
    This is butting up against the edge of the license agreement as it consists solely or main of symbols. So, the license agreement would not allow it. That's not to say we wouldn't grant permission, merely that you need it.
  • OK, again thanks for the responses. I think we are making progress here, so, let me bullet point it:

1. its OK to create an entire map using ProFantasy software and annuals, export it as a picture and use that as a background for the game.
    2. using ProFantasy sofware and annuals to create small bits and use those bits as sprites and tiles in the game requires permission (how do I get that permission?)
    3. using base textures and symbols without any alterations is not permitted.

I am inclined, at this point, to use option 1 (assuming my above statements are correct). But I would like to seek the permission for option 2 so I have some wiggle room to design with.
  • Can you also use the FCW you created, say of a city, and export it to, say, a website etc (no charges involved, of course). I prefer FCW rather than a picture, as it gives me easier control over zooming in and out, and what shows or not.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    @soldyne: Contact us at management@profantasy.com for inquiries about license permissions.

@qwalker: Sure you can post the FCW file. Note though that people will need CC3 and CD3 to view city maps themselves.