Reinstalling again...

So for the second time this year my Windows 8.1 got stuck in the dreaded Boot Loop Error. Having to pay for a second time to get it fixed (the dangers of digital downloads is no physical product, a.k.a Boot disk) I've gone back to Windows 7. Now for the one thing I don't like about Campaign Cartography, installing years worth of product.

Comments

• 12 days later
  • So my computer died yet again! Got a new hard drive. now to re-install CC3 again, for the second time this month. I'm going to go into a corner an cry now.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2014
    I'm going to try CC3 et al on my 64-bit 8.1 laptop. I'll let you know how it works out.
  • I keep all of my installers on a NAS box, so at least I don't need to download it all again. And I only have 1 annual & 1 symbol set, so that helps. :)
  • I'm finally doing it today. Had to purchase the SS3 upgrade because my computer was having none of the Netframe 1 kept telling me there are known issues with it and to use Netframe 4.

@JimP I had no issues with CC3 installing on 64-bit Win 8.1 I'm running Windows 7 again because I can't take the risk of another boot loop error. It might have been my SSD (solid state drive) which I replaced but fool me once...

@DMG, I have no idea what a NAS box is.
  • WOOT! It only took 2 hours. I think I got all of them installed.
  • I haven't had the chance to run it, but the install went fine.
  • Posted By: Highland_Piper
    @DMG, I have no idea what a NAS box is.
    NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. I have 2 x 2TB drives in a Synology NAS box on my network. It runs as both local file storage & I get cloud access as well.

I've been stung a few times in the past where I kept downloads on my PC, only to have the hard drive fail. So now I drop as much as I can onto the NAS for easy access.
  • 6 years later
  • Had to upgrade to a new, larger, and faster hard drive. Here I go again! Should only take all day ?

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Sorry to hijack your thread just a little bit here, Highland_Piper, but I just need to say to the average user reading this thread that if you have the facility to download fresh installers each time you have to reinstall (which really shouldn't be this often) you should. The installers are regularly updated, so old ones may still have bugs that have since been fixed. I quite often come across issues that have been caused by using old installers.

Highland_Piper
  • Good advice. I actually have all the old installers on one of my hard drives. I'll just delete those.

LoopysueJimP
  • Highland_PiperHighland_Piper Surveyor
    edited November 2020

Well I have to admit reinstalling CC3+ is not the nightmare that it was back in CC2 V6 days. No install order other than CC3+ first and the update at the end. Faster connection speeds meant that even downloading the installers over again instead of using the ones that I had saved to secondary drive didn't take that long. Faster computer and the better hard drive meant everything installed very quickly.

I used to have to block out an entire morning and afternoon to install over from scratch.

JimP