How do I work with very high polygon entities?

I am currently trying to create a maze cave as a part of a dungeon, I've tried several ways of creating it and generally end up crashing or freezing in one way or another.

I'm pretty sure that I am coming up against issues with the maximum number of polygons I can have in a single entity (it has over 14000), but don't really know how to progress at this point.

I first created the maze using the cave tool and the system crashed when I was getting close to the end. I then tried again but this time I drew the cave in small parts by pressing E and extending it as I went. I made it to the end, only to discover that it didn't have any walls and when I tried to add some it all corrupted on me :(

I have finally managed to create the maze using walls, but it's at the absolute maximum that the program can deal with. To put in on context, if I go to move a node using 'node edit' it can deal with it, but it cannot deal with me attempting to 'delete node' and that causes a freeze. Surprisingly it let me create a floor that matched the walls using multipoly but I can't reposition the walls and floor to occupy the same space. If I try it causes an outright crash.

When I started I had no idea that it would be so hard to create this maze, but I'm so close to succeeding with it now that it would suck to have to give up on the idea.

The only thing I can really think of at this point, would be to somehow split the huge entity into a selection of smaller entities that I can deal with independently and hopefully are easier to deal with. The problem is that I have no idea how I can do this. I tried split and break but they seems to delete the entire entity rather than break it up into two smaller entities :(

Is there anything at all I can do?

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Your walls look like they have a lot of nodes, so perhaps the REMOVE NODES command might help your computer handle them (right-click Explode to access this command, 4th from the top).

REMOVE NODES doesn't work on multipolys though, so you'll probably need to explode the multipoly first and apply the command to the individual paths.
  • 01i01i
    edited May 2014
    Explode just split the walls up into 14724 entities (one for each node in the path) and then any subsequent activity caused the app to go to a white screen. However the remove nodes command 'did' work on the walls (without exploding first) and I was able to reduce them from 14724 to 5240, and then again to 1934 (which I hope will be easier to manage). Thanks for directing me to the explode sub-menu, ets see what happens now :)
  • Posted By: 01iHowever the remove nodes command 'did' work on the walls (without exploding first)
    This pobably means you didn't have a multipoly at all. REMOVE NODES only works on paths and polygons. Multipolys are special entities to use when you want a hole in your shape or to join curves and lines.
    Posted By: 01iThanks for directing me to the explode sub-menu, ets see what happens now :)
    You're welcome, glad I could provide some help.