Sheriff office

This is my entry into the lite challenge on the cartographers guild.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

KenG

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Like this map. It really conveys my boyhood western movies feel.

Isn't the rifle a bit overscaled compared to the sleeping (drunken ?) character though?

Thanks for sharing :)
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Thanks JdR I thought this would fit in with all of the great Deadland maps that are around here.
  • The Winchester looks overly long to me as well.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2014
    I like it! I especially like the textures you used for the porch, the floor, and what you did with the wooden walls. The floorplan/layout looks authentic to my, admittedly untrained, eye, and the sleeping/passed out guy at the table is a nice touch, as is the spittoon near the sheriff's chair. The symbols really fit the genre!

A few things seem just a little off to me, though. I think some tweaking on the following items might help to improve an already excellent map.
    • Some of the symbols have odd lighting or coloring, or possibly an outline or effect that pull them off the map to me. They don't seem to be part of the map itself. This is almost certainly due to the photo-realism of some of them and the mixed nature of the symbols' origins. For example, the horses and the carriage, guitar and skin on the beds, the backpack, and the safe, to name a few.
    • Some of the symbols are hard to see. For example, at first, I thought there was a hat sitting on the porch and I didn't realize there was a person wearing it!
    • I can't tell if there are tracks after the carriage. It looks like there might be, but if so, they're hard to see. Much the same with the "path" leading to the front door between the troughs. Maybe make those stand out more.
    • Maybe add a bush or two, or some other vegetation besides the "built-in" grass of the background texture.
    Overall, I think this is a bang-up job. I agree that it would work nicely alongside the other Deadlands maps we've seen on this forum. Even the font you used for the title helps to give it the right atmosphere. What font is that, if you don't mind my asking?

Again, great job. A terrific entry for the challenge!
    ~Dogtag
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    Very nice.

The floor plan is perfect as it looks like an actual historic western jail.

I recognized most of the Western symbols being used in the CSUAC and being offered for download on various forums.

For the one that was mentioned as blending and being hard to see, the goodguy chs-a symbol on the porch might look better if the npc chs-a one were used as it doesn't have the same colors. (These are the CSUAC names for them.)
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Hey thanks for all the comments and feedback.

I did a few updates based on the reviews. Gun is smaller, attempted to bring out the tracks a bit more, added some bushes and switches the good guy.

The font is called Harrington
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2014
    So there's the good guy!  image   All joking aside, I like the improvements.

And, is that a tumbleweed in the lower right? Ha ha! Nice touch.

Great job,
    ~Dogtag
  • Ha! Missed this good guy the first version ;)

Suggestions: turn the water tanks 180° to match the tumbleweed shading. The way it is, it looks like water is above wood. And perhaps give also the barrel a like shadow...