Tome of Ultimate Mapping Adventures

Hi All,
Well I splurged recently and decided to get the Tome of Ultimate Mapping and I'm enjoying my experience quiet a bit. I suspect it would have been very handy with my first purchases. I can strongly recommend it as a purchase to someone who wants to move away from the really beginning stages to really understanding what is going on. I'm on page 28 and I would value what I've seen so far at about $10 worth or product with a few hundred pages to go I suspect I will find myself very happy with the purchase.

Note: Just so you understand where I'm coming from. I own the majority of the products now. I have the Fractal Terrains 3, CC3 all the addons except Dioramas (are there neat extras to make it worth buying if you aren't planning to print things?), Symbol sets 1,2. and 4, all the source maps except WW2, and the first 3 annuals. However, I have never sat down and learned to use the program.

As such I made myself a goal to go through the Tome doing all the examples and suggestions and then start hitting the Annuals and really let them teach me the skills I need to use this program.

I hit page 28 and I came to a problem. I'm trying to use the copy command. It tells me to select the copy command and then to select p and then d. I started looking for a P and then a D on my various menu bars and when I didn't find one I assumed they meant the letter P and the letter D. However, that doesn't work. When I type in P and hit enter it continues to say "select entities" when I type in D and hit enter it says "Command [COP]" However, the book says I'm supposed to see a line that says "copy from points" Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Note its directions for how to make an outline for a text label by creating a new text sheet. The first step is to create a new text sheet and copy the data from an existing text sheet. I was easily able to create the new sheet but I wasn't able to get the copy command to work correctly for my text label.

Comments

• seycyrusseycyrus Traveler
    When you hit "p", it should change to something like "select entities (1 selected)", where before it said (0 selected).

If I remember correctly, for me it didn't say "copy from points" either. I just went ahead and typed in 0,0 and hit enter. Then type in 0,0 (another time, for the placement).

In other words, continue on with the tutorial ,even though you don't get the prompt.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Note that the P and D referenced are indeed keyboard shortcuts. You can find the same options in the right-click menu during selection. P stands for 'Prior' and D stands for 'Do It' (Both are explained elsewhere in the tome). Do note however that you are not supposed to hit enter after hitting these shortcut commands, that will advance the command before you have done the appropriate steps.
  • Thanks to you both. That helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. It was indeed hitting enter between them.