Symbol elements on different sheets...

Working on my hex map of the Caribbean and wondering if there is some way to put different symbol elements on different sheets? For example I'd like the colored hex to be on one sheet on the .PNG symbol image to be on another so I can apply different effects to each.

Comments

• What I do is I create my extra sheets beginning with "SYMBOLS." then add the name like MILITARY. I then can set the sheet to that new sheet (ex SYMBOLS.MILITARY) & the symbols I then select will go on the new sheet.
    Skol,
    Sven
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Right click on the change properties icon,
    Select the Move to sheet option.
    Then select the item or items (Symbols) you wish to move.
    Right click and select Do it
    Then select the destination sheet where you want the symbols to go.
  • I'm not talking about changing the sheet for the WHOLE symbol, that's easily done, I'm talking designing a symbol with items on different sheets. If you go into symbol manager and try to change the sheet, it's blank. I'm wondering if there's anyway around that.
  • Houses are on different layers. You might look at them and see if that helps.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    One symbol always has to be on one sheet, that's the basic architecture of CC3. But there is a workaround. You can set a symbol to explode into multiple symbols on different sheets when it gets placed.

The option for that is "Convert Line Style names to Sheets". You need to create a line style with a name matching the sheet's you want the symbol to go on, then use Change Properties or Change Line Style to set the symbol's entities to go on the sheets they are supposed to. FInally set the option on the symbol from the Symbol Manager. You'll notice that the sheet property goes grey when you do that, it is superseded by this option. Hope this was understandable (it's late here). Let me know if I need to elaborate.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Posted By: RalfHope this was understandable...
    Posted By: RalfLet me know if I need to elaborate.
    image Please, kind sir.

~Dogtag
    Do the following:

- create a new blank symbol catalog from the New Map wizard.
    - Draw a rectangle and a circle next to each other
    - Click the Line Style indicator on the top right (says "LS:Solid" normally).
    - Click "New" and name the new line style "CIRCLE"
    - Click "New" again and name the the style "RECTANGLE". Close the Line Style dialog.
    - Right-click the Change Properties button and choose "Change Line Style". Select the circle, Do It, Right-click and choose CIRCLE from the list.
    - Do the same to the rectangle, only giving it the RECTANGLE style.
    - Do Symbols > Define Symbol, select both the circle and the retangle, Do it, name the symbol.
    - Open Symbols > Symbol Manager, select the new symbol and click Options. Select "Convert Line Style names to Sheets" and click OK.
    - Close the Symbol Manager and save your drawing as a symbol catalog. I've attached my example to this post.
    - Load your new catalog and test teh symbol. When you place it you'll see the indicator on the top left say "Multiple sheets". Check the sheet list and you'll find two new sheets added to the drawing: CIRCLE and RECTANGLE. And the Symbol manager shows that the one symbol has been split into two.

Hope that helps.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited April 2014
    Thank you for the more detailed explanation — and the sample file! You rock, as always. And thanks to Skycast, the O.P. because, frankly, I wouldn't have known enough to ask this question.

Cheers,
    ~ Dogtag
  • Thanks Ralf, I haven't goofed around with the procedure yet, but will that work if one of the elements is an inserted PNG? Making hex map symbols and want the underlying hex on one sheet and the symbol image on another to apply different effects.
    Yes, it will work with pngs too. Not 100% sure though how it will interact with hex symbols. You'll have to try that. :)