Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorGeomancer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014

Hello all! I'm new to all of this and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. If this has been answered then my search mojo has failed me but a link to the previous topic would be appreciated.

I'm working on a story where in the world is flat. Not featureless. The world is not a sphere but instead a plane. If nothing else this makes the map's projection dead simple and accurate. Fractal Terrain is really cool but the distortions caused by it being a globe are problematic. If all else fails I'll just crop out the top and bottom and call it a day but if there was a way to generate an actual flat World that would be awesome.

Thanks for the time.

~Geo
    • CommentAuthorjslayton
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014

In World Settings, click on the Fractal Function tab, then enable "Planar Function Evaluation" and click Apply. Then make sure that your projection is Equirectangular and now you have a planar (flat) map. It will still have the 2:1 width:height aspect ratio, though. If you'd like a round projection flat-map view, switch the projection to "Discworld"; a square flat-map projection would be "ZoomBlock".
    • CommentAuthorPseudonymz
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2019

Hi,

Dumb question I know, but I can't seem to find either "Discworld" or "ZoomBlock" in the list of available projections in FT3 :) Is there a new version of the Projection.txt file which I should download from somewhere?

Thanks for your time
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I don't see Discworld nor ZoomBlock on mine either. I have version 3.0.21
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

I was looking at my development version rather than the release one, sorry. You'll need to patch your FT installation with a new file to get those projections.

To patch your FT installation:
    0) Close FT
    1) Find your FT install directory (the one with Projection.txt in it).
    2) Copy the Projection.txt file from your install directory to a safe place.
    3) Download the attached Projection.txt file.
    4) Replace the Projection.txt file in the FT install directory with new Projection.txt file below.
    5) Start FT and look at the new projections. There are a few composite projections in there as well as the planar ones above.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oooo!

Thank you very much, Joe :D
    • CommentAuthorPseudonymz

Thank you!

That's really helpful :)
    • CommentAuthorGrimmric

Its so fun and nice to see that this is a forum that people enjoy and stay a long time.
    You can continue a discussion from 2014 and a couple of hours later it just goes on like it wasnt 5 years between comments.
    Amazing.
    I love to be here. :)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

This forum is absolutely riddled with wormholes through the space-time continuum :P
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2019

Thanks !