Random Street w/ Fractal Roads

I have the Random Street feature working fine on roads that I draw using the Roads in Path/Polygon mode, but when I switch to fractal mode, and then select a point on my Road (the same way I do it on path / polygon road mode), the houses end up getting drawn at some random point on my map instead of along my road. When I say random, I mean that I didn't even notice it the first time I tried using the feature - the houses were completely across the map, and not connected to any road. ONE time, I was able to get it to display two houses next to my fractal road, but I can't get it to happen again.

That being said, I'm really excited to get the fractal roads and random streets working together. I guess I can draw my own streets in that fashion, but it seems to me that if I can do it using a feature already built in, then that would be ideal :)

Has anyone else gotten fractal roads and Random Street to work? If so, can you please provide a dummy version for me? It's been years since I've used CC, and while I was "competent" at that time, I have forgotten almost all of it and have to re-learn.

Comments

• Part of the problem there is the fact that a fractual adds a bunch of control nodes, and each 'turn' etc causes the random street to have to work out the new angles etc etc etc etc.. I think you might find that it is part of the problem your running into.. I'll take a try at it in a bit once I get this section of the Rook done.
  • Thanks. I turned the fractal strength down to 10% so that I would end up with more straight stretches. Even then, I couldn't even get a single house to show up anywhere on the road. The houses showed up in the middle of a clean area about "500 feet" diagonally down and left from the nearest point of the road (and nowhere near where I had clicked for starting and ending points).
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    There are indeed usually too many nodes in a fractal path for the street tool to work correctly.

But you can try to make the fractal path "smooth" after drawing it, as the street tool copes much better with smooth paths. Right-click the Explode button, use "Straight to Smooth" on your fractal path, and then apply the random street tool.

Hope that helps.
  • Unless there's another step, that didn't quite do it. Exploding my fractal DID make it so that I could use Random Street, but it stays on the path of the first road segment and doesn't follow the road. It's "okay" in that I can redo the random street option multiple times, but it's still not quite what I would hope for. I tried to "combine paths" on the segments, but for some reason I couldn't select any segments with the combine path tool.

I can understand the "why" fractal roads don't quite work straight out with random street, but I'd be fine deleting the odd house that overlapped another house instead of not being able to have it follow the fractal road at all. The fractal roads seem to me to be an ideal solution for a "slum" area of a medieval city.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Nono, don't Explode the fractal path! It's just that the "Straigth to Smooth" command is on the right-click menu of the Explode button.
  • *me feels sheepish*

So that's where all the menu options I was used to went :) I thought they were only accessible via the drop-down menus now - I'm just not used to the right-clicking on icons to get additional commands.

That, of course, worked perfectly.