All Profantasy software on Wine (tutorial)

I just wrote a tutorial to install CC3 and all the addons on Linux.

You can download the PDF here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B51GMCzkXp9IQlhwVC1yYlphbzA
Together with the PDF you can download the archive script.tar.gz, which contains a script to help you with Wine configuration through the tutorial.

I use CC3 on Arch Linux, but I hope the tutorial will work also on other distributions.
Maybe you can use this discussion to report if your distribution and Wine version are working.

Comments

• Even-though I do not use Linux I still say........Thanks.
  • Posted By: blatherEven-though I do not use Linux I still say........Thanks.
    You are welcome!
  • Good work especially since Microsquish's change of focus for their OS.
  • 2 years later
  • Thank you! I'm running Kubuntu 14.04, and it's worked mostly* great. CC3 and DD3 both installed without a hitch after I found this tutorial.

Has anyone else had issues getting City Designer 3 to install on Wine, though? I've run through 3 or 4 different error messages. Most recent is below.

(after inputting serial#)
    fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
    fixme:sfc:SFC_3 0
    err:ole:create_server class {000c101c-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {000c101c-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} could be created for context 0x4

fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceA ((null),"MsiInstaller"): stub
    fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW (L"",L"MsiInstaller"): stub
    fixme:advapi:ReportEventA (0xcafe4242,0x0002,0x0000,0x000003f7,(nil),0x0006,0x00000000,0x50fc698,(nil)): stub
    fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0002,0x0000,0x000003f7,(nil),0x0006,0x00000000,0x22df160,(nil)): stub
    fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
    fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
    fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
    fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x10234 enable -1: stub!
    fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
    fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x10234 enable -1: stub!
    fixme:wtsapi:WTSUnRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x10078

At which point it crashes.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    While I have no direct experience with using Wine, searching on the phrase "fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)" gives many suggestions about the proper dependencies needed to get version 6 of the Windows common controls.
  • Posted By: jslaytonWhile I have no direct experience with using Wine, searching on the phrase "fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)" gives many suggestions about the proper dependencies needed to get version 6 of the Windows common controls.
    Yeah, I tried fixing that first, actually. :) Everything pointed toward installing .NET 3.5, which failed repeatedly. Eventually came on someone's note suggesting those "fixme" lines are basically developer notes for the Wine dev team. But there seem to be several different bugs associated with "err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {000c101c-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} could be created for context 0x4," so that seemed like my next most likely bet.

Searching on "fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20" suggests I might need Gecko. Will post again if that fixes it.
  • Ooh, I just switched my main laptop to Linux Mint and was regretting not being able to use CC3+ on it anymore. Thanks for doing this.
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
    i run everything from wine in my mac using crossover, the packages that are needed to be installed along with the base programs are
    microsoft rich edit 2.0
    Rich Edit 4.1
    microsoft visual C++ 2013 (12.0) ( for cc3 you may need earlier versions )
    msls31
    wine gecko (32-bit)
    dotnet (2.0),(4.0),(4.5),(4.5.1) (only for cc3)
    Uniscribe

so once this packages have been installed it is just a matter of running the base install program for cc3 or cc3+

you might want to use a "bottler" type program to automate the winetricks stuff

the only thing you may find is the text on some of the pre made maps are a little screwy

Hope this helps

Rob
  • 14 days later
  • Posted By: suntzui run everything from wine in my mac using crossover, the packages that are needed to be installed along with the base programs are
    microsoft rich edit 2.0
    Rich Edit 4.1
    microsoft visual C++ 2013 (12.0) ( for cc3 you may need earlier versions )
    msls31
    wine gecko (32-bit)
    dotnet (2.0),(4.0),(4.5),(4.5.1) (only for cc3)
    Uniscribe

so once this packages have been installed it is just a matter of running the base install program for cc3 or cc3+

you might want to use a "bottler" type program to automate the winetricks stuff

the only thing you may find is the text on some of the pre made maps are a little screwy

Hope this helps

Rob
    Yes, although maybe not the way you intended. :)

After updating to the most recent version of Winetricks I was able to install, in a clean wine prefix, up to dotnet45 and vcrun2015. Unfortunately, at that point gandalfmagic's lovely little script wouldn't execute. It worked in Wine 1.6 with Winetricks2014-something, but in Wine 1.8 and/or Winetricks20160724 it claimed it was a bad EXE. I may still try reverting and using a clean prefix, but not tonight.

That said, using your list of necessary DLLs and PlayOnLinux it all installed flawlessly - well, once I figured out what I was doing with POL. :) Rich Edit 4.1 didn't seem to be available, but riched20 and riched30 seem to be sufficient.

Thanks for all the help!
  • 1 month later
  • Update:

For unexplained reasons, my previous install of CC3 Plus quit launching and I decided it was time to upgrade my system anyway. Reinstalling now in Mint 18, again using PlayOnLinux, I discovered that not only is msi2 not available, Wine can't find Rich Edit 2.0 anymore. So we went and tracked down the DLLs. According to Clamav, as of 10/7/2016 both of these files are clean:
    http://manydlls.org/riched20.dll/en-download-15736.html
    http://api.256file.com/msftedit.dll/en-download-92914.html

I downloaded them directly into the System32 folder of the appropriate wine prefix and then attempted to install CC3 and got the error in the attached screenshot.

CC3+ launches, then appears to crash but remains open. If I have time (or if it won't save or something) I'll dig into the backtrace later, but it only seemed right that I contribute a bit, as well.
  • 8 months later
  • JMunsonIIJMunsonII Traveler
    Just adding my two cents here:

While not Linux, I decided to give CC3+ a shot using Wine on MacOS Sierra. After an initial "glitch" during installation (having to do with the serial number, but later mysteriously fixed itself), everything installed fine and appears to work fine. No special changes were made of any kind.

I did install Wine using the instructions found here: https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/.

As this is the latest Wine build, that may also have something to do with the success.