My first map and a question.

So I recently bought CC3 and made my first map. I'd like to know what some of you more experienced users here think and possibly some suggestion on how to place names on it. I'm having problems making them look "good".

world1im8.th.jpg

Comments

• Not bad at all for your first map.

The general thing with text/labels is to choose one font and a set of sizes and keep to them. The other part is to choose one general area where you'll put the text with each item and then keep to it..

Style wise most templates have there stuff already set for sheet effects with the text
  • Hi Darkraider,

I really like the style you've chosen with this map and for a first go its really good.

In terms of font etc I use one i found for free called Ringbearer and with a lot of help from people on here made it look pretty good on maps. Search for the font on Google and try it out.

regards...
  • I like your style as well. I like how you did it very close up!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited September 2008
    Very nice work for a first map!

My only niggle are the rivers (Attention, pet peeve!). Natural rivers don't split and connect like in a network. Instead they flow into each other, gathering into a major flow which runs into the sea.

Unless you've got a very good reason and (fantastical) explanation for them to be there, I'd get rid of the horizontal connection between the western and easter rivers completely, and also remove the east and west split of the river in the southeast.

See the Wikipedia article on Drainage Basins for an example of river flow.

Keep up the good work!
  • Thx for the advice. I'll definitely look into those rivers.