Copying from one map to another

I feel like I should already know how to do this but for some reason I'm not managing to get it done.

I started a map using one overland style and went through the effort of drawing out the coastline and it was fairly tedious/difficult. What I'd like to do is copy the land to another, new map, using a different style. The plan was to trace over imported land masses (which would probably be on the common layer for later deletion) using the new style's drawing tools. Am I over-thinking this? And if not, how do I get it done? I tried just switching to the drawing tools of the other style but the bitmap fills didn't load. Thanks in advance folks :)

Comments

• And it occurs to me that I may have this question in the wrong category.
  • You can Copy and Paste any objects from one CC3 drawing to another using the "Edit" drop-down menu commands, by having both drawings open simultaneously in separate windows.

You should also be able to change the settings (like the bitmap fills) by using the "Change Properties" button after you've copied it over, rather than having to trace it all again, but this may depend exactly what you're trying to do on the new map.
  • Once you have the landmass copied over into your preferred style via Wyvern's instructions, you can right click on the 'change properties button' and select 'change like draw tool' then right click again. It will bring up all of the draw tools for that style. Select the draw tool you want, select what you want to change and the CC3 magic happens.

It's amazing what you find hidden behind the right click of the buttons. *grins*
  • That's weird - I was certain that I was doing the edit-copy thing before but instead it was pasting some text from my clipboard. I'll give it another go. Thanks folks :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Make sure you actually finish the copy command. The most common mistake here is that after selecting the entities to copy, people don't realize that CC3 is now asking for the copy origin. If you fail to do this, the selection is never copied to the clipboard. Always keep an eye on the command line, it tells you what CC3 is expecting from you at any given time.
    Chanticrow
  • That's exactly what was happening - I wasn't finishing the copy command! This has taught me to, as you just mentioned, keep a better eye on the command line to make sure I know what I'm supposed to be doing. Whew!