Creating CD3 symbols using DD3

I have managed to create a CD3 symbol from an existing DD3 map.

It works quite well.

Only a small bit of postwork is required in PhotoShop or the GIMP.

Here's the result:

I know, I still need to improve the shading PNG. This one isn't perfect yet. But I'm actually quite happy with the result.

Need to go to bed now ;-)

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Nice. I hope you will share the symbol itself with us when you are done. Could be useful.
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited September 2008
    Here you go, Monsen:

CYH_002_HI.PNG

CYH_002_HI_MAP.PNG

I have removed the dragon head from the symbol, as I don't want to violate any copyrights.
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited September 2008
    A few additional words: The most important advantage of this technique is that the players will see a 1:1 representation of a building created in DD3 in a city map. Moreover, you don't need to spend time learning third-party programmes such as Adobe PhotoShop, Adobe Illustrator or the GIMP. A little knowledge of one of these graphic programmes is required, though, as CC3 is not able to render with a transparent background. Hence, some postwork is necessary. But the creation of the symbol itself is actually done in a piece of software which most people on these forums already know.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2008
    Posted By: Mogul76A few additional words: The most important advantage of this technique is that the players will see a 1:1 representation of a building created in DD3 in a city map.
    This is a very interesting technique. I remember I used to do something similar the same back in the old CC2 days, except I never bothered to make a symbol, I just imported the entire map directly into the city map.
    Showing the exact same building on the city map makes everything look a bit more real, you see that it really fits together as a whole, and not individual seperate pieces.
  • This is a great symbol and a very useful technique! Thanks Mogul!
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    I'd be interested in the steps you take to get from the CC3 file to the finished symbol.
  • Uiii, Simon, okay... I'm planning to post a new DD3 map anyway and shall create a CD3 symbol from it. So I guess, I could write a short tutorial. Let's see, if I'll manage to finish it before my holiday which starts this weekend ;-)
  • But that transparency is a feature CC3 could use. I'd think that would be an easy filter to write for Joe. The ability to do this process (or, even better, a command for it), would be really powerful. Is there a thread somewhere for program feature suggestions?
    --Dale--
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Add a thread for each suggestion, I think, unless it's something very minor in "Mapping with ProFantasy's Software."

CC3 has no transparency channel, so the best way to do this would be to define a transparent colour, I think.

I considered a feature which let you select entities, and create a png entity in the current drawing as a symbols, so that you can rotate fill styles, but now that we have aligned fill styles, that isn't necessary.