Trouble with sheet orders

I'm trying to draw a grassy square on top of a paved square on my roads sheet in CD3. I've created a new 'parks' sheet in my sheets menu for the grass, and moved it below the 'roads' sheet on that list, but every time i draw my grass, it disappears (beneath the roads, it appears when i hide the roads sheet. I have tried this sheet in numerous positions on the list but it will not take its place at the front. What am I doing wrong?
All suggestions very much appreciated!

Comments

• That sounds odd. Are you sure that the grass is drawn on the parks sheet? Check the information on it.

Steve
  • Yeah, am sure. I've had the same problem trying to draw islands on an island sheet, that i left at the very bottom of the list. As soon as i hit redraw, it disappears under the water which is on a sheet well above it. It's rather frustrating to say the least.
  • Are you using a drawing tool on the right like polygon or circle, or are are choosing one of the left hand like road, etc.? If you are using the right hand tools they place items on current sheet but the left hand tools will change the sheet to whatever is in the tool properties meaning youd have to change back to the sheet you want it on. I used to have that same problem because I didnt realize the sheet switches back as soon as you stop using the left hand tools. Here's my other question have you tried using change properties on the grass and changing its sheet from there to 'parks'. You may find that it really wasnt on the right sheet even though you thought it was and that will knock it back on.
  • No, sadly that isnt the problem, I've checked properties and it is definitely on the 'parks' sheet, same with the island on the 'islands' sheet. Both seem to go all the way back to being on top of the background sheet, regardless of its position on the list. It seems to be happening with anything i put on a sheet that i create myself.
  • What tool are you using to create the grass and the islands?
  • I've tried a few tools, the box shape tool with a green bitmap fill and a terrain one from the left tools menu.
  • What are you using to determine which sheet and layer they are on? I use info > list from the menu bar at the top,
  • well, ive double and triple checked that the correct sheet is selected before, during and after drawing. After that it disappears and its rather difficult to get to it, but when i have its been on the correct one.
  • I've gotten to the bottom of this, it seems that even if a sheet is listed active in the sheet bar at the top of the screen, the drawing tool is not necessarily drawing to it. When using the tools from the left menu, they seem to draw to their default sheet even when the correct sheet is active at the top. After drawing them they have to be changed back to the correct one...
  • I'm glad you found the problem. I was pretty sure you just misread my post cause as I say used to happen to me all the time.
  • Yes, the drawing tools are configured to draw to specific sheets. If you see something happen like this, check the information on the objects themselves -- it will usually give you a big clue what happened. Steve