Caribbean Map

Can anyone point me to a Caribbean map .fcw I can... borrow to help map a pirates campaign?

I can do a decent job of fantasy lands, but I just don't have the skill/patience to copy/create from scratch a real world map.

Thanks in advance and I'll make sure to credit any help I can get on this.

Comments

• BlindMapmakerBlindMapmaker Newcomer
    edited January 2014
    Do you have the Cartographer's Annual 1? If so, you can use the one attached to this post. Here's a preview:
    I hereby release this artwork under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license. That means I grant everybody who cares permission to use and print this for private, non-commercial use. Please give credit to BlindMapmaker and link either to my livejournal blog or to this discussion when you use it somewhere in public. You may change the map, but that doesn't remove the need to give attribution.

I'll post the extra bitmap file you need it in the next post, because it seems I can only attach one file to each post.
  • BlindMapmakerBlindMapmaker Newcomer
    edited January 2014
    You should create a new directory called "Hatchings" under your "CC3\Bitmaps\" directory and put the attached PNG there to enable the hatching. Many thanks to Joachim de Ravenbel for the fix that made it work in the end.

If you only need a large pdf export you can find that here. Careful, it's 20 MB!

By the way, this wasn't created from scratch either. Tracing over old (or new) maps is not that hard and a good way to get some really nice maps.

Let me know what you think.
  • Glad you like it. I just realised that I included the layers with the maps I used for tracing. Shouldn't pose any problems, but just in case here's a version without those. Let me know if you need anything else.
  • edited January 2014
    Here's my final product - thanks a million for the file.

https://the-savage-seas.obsidianportal.com/maps/49858
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited January 2014
    Looks very cool. Love the Google Maps integration!

~Dogtag
  • Nice rework there. Makes me think of the map in Sid Meier's Pirates. It's really amazing how different a map looks with a different kind of textures.

I hardly dare bring it up on account of not wanting to sound like a spoilsport, but could you include an attribution as per the license I released it under? I put a lot of hard work into this map and I wouldn't want to be accused of stealing it, especially since we used it in a commercially sold book. The attribution doesn't have to be on the map itself. Small print somewhere on the page is just fine. Thanks in advance.
  • Of course! Complete apologies.

Originally it was posted with your credit - I completed some changes and re-posted with current name. When I realized I changed the title.

I got a message this morning which informed me I had neglected to give credit - and sure enough the original title was still there.

I have since discovered that you cannot change the title of a map after it has been posted (an Obsidian Portal bug following a re-launch of the site). I have since taken down the map and will re-post with the correct credits when I'm home from work.
  • edited January 2014
    Posted By: BlindMapmakerNice rework there. Makes me think of the map in Sid Meier's Pirates. It's really amazing how different a map looks with a different kind of textures.

My game is a Pirates game - it was exactly the flavor I was looking for.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited January 2014
    I really like the map but the whole portal is really pretty cool. I totally got a pirate vibe.

~Dogtag
  • Unfortunately, I can't see the new page. It gives me a "Sorry, you are not authorized to view that page." error. But that's totally fine with me if that means only you and your players can see the map. I just didn't want to have it on the net for everybody to see without a mention where it came from. Really any kind of attribution on the page is fine. Don't sweat it. Hope I didn't disrupt your game there.

Oh, and sorry for the late reply. Haven't had time to browse my usual haunts this week yet.