Using Symbols When Creating Symbols in CC3

Is it possible to use an existing symbol as part of a new symbol in CC3? If so, how?

A brief explanation: I'm trying to create a catalog of symbols to use in outdoor hex-based maps. What I'd like to do is place various CC3 symbols into hexagons and then define the whole thing as a new symbol. For example, I'd draw a dark green hex, put a pine tree in the middle of it (from Vegetation.fsc) and then create a single symbol that I could drop on a hex map to designate "Pine Forest here". So far, my efforts result in an empty hex with the pine tree symbol missing. The hex gets "symbolized", but the pre-existing symbol doesn't.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• You can always explode the placed symbol (the pine tree in your example) before turning the whole thing into a symbol. Exploding the symbol puts all the drawn objects into the map.

I know that you're not 'supposed' to include symbols embedded in other symbols, but I've never had a problem with it. I'm guessing that the reason your nested symbols aren't working is that the pine tree symbol has not been placed in the map. YOu could try placing one of them, then placing your hex forest symbol and see if it works.

Steve