Android Tablet Support

Is there any possibility of seeing a CC3 app for a tablet one day or does the FastCAD basis preclude that?

Cheers,
Mike

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I would guess the chances are very slim. Since CC3 is very dependent on it's fastCad core, it would only be possible if Evolution Computing ported fastcad to the android OS. And even then, it would require a proper port using the same API so that CC3 could run on top of it, not just a "FastCad lookalike for tablets" which is what most companies do when they "port" their software to tablets. You'll also have the performance issue as well, CC3 isn't a lightweight program like most tablet apps are.

If you wish to run CC3 on a tablet, I suggest getting a Surface Pro unit. It even comes with a Wacom pen which you can use for drawing in CC3 (freehand and with drawing tools). I works quite well, even if CC3 isn't particularly touch-optimized.

Obviously, since I am not a ProFantasy employee, this is in no way an official answer. For all I know, Simon might be planning something.
  • Right - that's pretty well what I had anticipated - I realise the technology is more than somewhat different. My problem is that I now have to travel a bit and can't take my desktop with me :-) I was hoping that my trusty Archos G9 10.1 might be of some use in the future - the grapfics are superb and it has a 250 Gb HDD.

I'll check out the Surface Pro unit you mentioned and see if that might serve the purpose. Thanks.

Mike
  • Most tablets are ARM cpus, they won't run Windows software. Surface Pro does run Windows software.
  • I use a Samsung Windows 8 Pro tablet. It runs EVERYTHING windows. As a note, the tablet is great for viewing, but it is slow when viewing with sheet effects on. It does work, but a bit slower than normal.
  • Ouch!!! Surface Pro is over £500! I haven't had that kind of money since I retired from gainful employment.

Cheers,

Mike
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I haven't got that kind of money being gainfully employed.
  • 6 days later
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    In the long term we are looking at tablet-friendly apps, but it's a long way off.
  • Well - I know that AutoCAD has done it in android for their drawings, specifically so they can be portable. Then again I would bet that AutoDesk have a lot more $$$ and manpower to throw at something like that. You can export a map as a DWG from CC2/3 but I believe that none of the symbols go with it. Maybe there is something the fine folks at ProFantasy could hook into though. :/