Jon Roberts Dungeon Style

Hey there.

I have been drawing a dungeon using the Jon Roberts Style annual and am having some issues with the torch symbols in placing them.

I used a symbol from the DD3 catalog of an altar with candles and it seems to have the light source built-in. From the same catalog I placed a sconce and it acted predictably.

First issue (placement) - when I place the Jon Roberts torch it orients itself with the wall. I click it asks for offset so I enter the value and push the enter key. Instead of moving perpendicular to the wall so it lines up with the wall edge it slides along the wall the offset distance remaining embedded in the center of the wall. I have to use the move command to correct it.

Second issue (light) - I find it strange the light source isn't already built-in and if it is maybe I just need to find out how to adjust it.

Plus I don't know how to delete a light source once I have added it.

I have been using the ToUM to guide me through and am at a loss.

Comments

• Bump.

Wouldn't mind any guidance here.
  • Posted By: ADRFirst issue (placement) - when I place the Jon Roberts torch it orients itself with the wall. I click it asks for offset so I enter the value and push the enter key. Instead of moving perpendicular to the wall so it lines up with the wall edge it slides along the wall the offset distance remaining embedded in the center of the wall. I have to use the move command to correct it.
    The offset can be defined using the mouse.
    You can also right-click after selecting the symbol and while hovering above the map to unchek the smart tracking option so you can manually define angle and position.
    Posted By: ADRSecond issue (light) - I find it strange the light source isn't already built-in and if it is maybe I just need to find out how to adjust it.
    If you have the relevant annual issue, you should have a symbol catalog where lights are included in the symbols. Otherwise you have to add them yourself.
    Posted By: ADRPlus I don't know how to delete a light source once I have added it.
    Lights usually appear as crosses. You can then select them and delete them as any other entity.
    If you don't see the crosses, use the light menu and choose Show Light Symbols.
    If you don't have the light menu, use the keyboard command LIGHTSHOW (and to hide LIGHTHIDE).
    More on lights in Part 10 of this tutorial.
  • Joachim,

Thank you for your input.

I understand what you are saying about the offset. My guess is that there is simply something wrong with the Jon Roberts torch symbols then. The one I used doesn't have a light built-in I have added them manually and it doesnt place itself properly whether I use the mouse or enter a value. I just need to keep moving them. Seems strange that it doesn't work like the default DD# stuff that's all.

Deleting light sources - got it. Thank you that solved my problem.
  • Posted By: ADRit doesnt place itself properly whether I use the mouse or enter a value
    ADR, check if the snap button (bottom rigth) is on or not. With the button off, you should be able to zoom on the symbol and place the light source with good accuracy by just clicking on the target spot.
    If snap is on, the light will, err... snap to the nearest grid node (or hidden sub-node if the grid has divisions).

Hope it is clear...
  • Posted By: ADRMy guess is that there is simply something wrong with the Jon Roberts torch symbols then.
    You're right, the JR torch symbol use the offset along the wall instead of going perpendicular like the standard DD3.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You learn something new each day... I wasn't aware that the control points needs to aligned horizontally for the "offset from place point" to work as planned. Please overwrite the Wall Features.FSC file in /CC3/Symbols/Dungeons/Annual Jon Roberts/ with the attached version. It should then work like the original DD3 torch symbol (don't forget to remove the torch symbol definition from your current map, so it doesn't get reused).
  • Awesome! Thanks Ralf.

Was starting to feel like I was the only person who couldn't get the darn thing working properly. :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Do the Jon Roberts doors cut the walls when placed? I ask because I've never done more than monkey around with the style so I don't remember. But, after replacing the wall features with the above file, I tried making a small test dungeon and the doors did not cut the walls. In fact, upon refresh, the doors vanish beneath the walls so there's no sign of them! Secret doors are cool and all but...

So, I'm wondering if I need to cut the walls before placing doors in this style. I don't think the Jon Roberts Wall Features catalogue has a wall-cutter symbol/tool, does it?

Does anyone else have this problem or is something wonky with my installation?

Thanks,
    ~Dogtag
  • Replacing the file worked in that now the offset works as intended.

The symbols do not have lights built-in so I will need to add lights to them as per the ToUM and re-save them. Still find it kind of odd they were not built-in.

Posted By: Dogtag
    Does anyone else have this problem or is something wonky with my installation?

Thanks,
    ~Dogtag
    Mine worked fine the doors still cut the walls after putting in the new file.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Dogtag, check your walls, are they on the correct sheet and layer?
  • 10 months later
  • Sorry to necro an old thread, but I love the Jon Roberts style pack as well, and it's always annoyed me that "Window" (normal or vari) does not cut walls, either. How hard is it to correct that?
  • 3 years later
  • I'm having an issue with the Jon Roberts dungeon. The doors seem to align randomly, and I can't do anything to make them align properly. I thought the Smart Tracking was the issue, but that didn't fix the issue.

1. Chose the stone door and placed it. The handle and hinge align properly to the outside of the wall as I want it on some walls, but does not on other walls. I try using rotate and flipping the image, but it always re-aligns to the wrong direction.
    2. I turned off the Smart Tracking on the symbol and tried again, but left the Snap on. I could now rotate the door to the right alignment, but when I click it into place, it immediately gets placed in the wrong direction again (opening out of the room rather than in). Nothing I do seems to keep this from occurring, even after I turn off snap.

What am I doing wrong?

For that matter, I'm trying to create sealed tombs, but the doors all have handles. Is there a symbol set (that I can't seem to find) that has solid stone doors without handles or hinges? Or is there a technique I'm not aware of to create a door in such a way?

Thanks in advance!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited May 2018
    I don't experience any issues with the stone door in my (brief) testing, but do remember that the alignment of smart symbols depends on which side of the line your mouse pointer is on, you should always be able to align it the other way around by moving the mouse across to the other side of the line. Also, in general, always have smart tracking on, and snap off (both snap and cursor snap) when placing doors/windows.

I don't know about any symbol sets that has doors without handles (it is very difficult to draw a door from above and still give the impression that it is a door without such elements). I recommend you use a polygon with a nice stone fill instead for your sealed doors.
  • Right, that's what I was doing wrong, leaving the Snap on. Seems to be working now. Thanks!