Days away and still a secret?

DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
So, as I write this, the November 2013 issue of the Cartographer's Annual is [I hope] only four days away, but there's been no word as to what it will contain. I'm just curious, that's all. I can certainly wait a few more days if necessary. At this point, I'm almost more curious to know why the last two annual issues are shrouded in mystery. That said, I wouldn't turn up my nose at a hint. image

Thanks,
~Dogtag

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I'll be posting an update on those on the Annual page shortly. Hints: Hexes and 1930s.
  • Hehe, I've been checking that regularly as well...

I love it when Annual Issue day is approaching :)

Thanks for the hint Ralf!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited October 2013
    I've updated the 2013 Annual page with the program for the rest of the year.

Here's the preview for tomorrow's Annual from the gallery:
  • edited October 2013
    Arrghh, and now you expect us to wait a day before getting our hands on this... :)

Thanks Ralf, really looking forward to the rest of the year's issues!
  • Wow, that's really neat, Ralf. Just the right thing to use for a quick fantasy map. Wasn't quite happy with using the Annual 43 style for fantasy maps. It's great for modernish kind of stuff, but for fantasy it's a bit too abstract. This one just looks just perfect, though.

I can't wait for the 1930s Overland style. Loved the 1930s floorplans and city maps.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Great looking stuff! Thanks, Ralf!

And, woot! A bonus 2013 issue — more DeRust! Thanks PF!

~Dogtag
  • 8 days later
  • Is there any way to get the content of just a certain month from the annuals? I just saw that hexmapper example and it would be perfect for a project I'm working on. I'd subscribe to the annual but I'm tapped out at the moment from buying CC3 and pledging on the Reaper Bones kickstarter. I was looking at the other annuals and there's several of them with an article or two that interest me. I'm not sure it's worth $40 each for several annuals to get the few things I want. I wouldn't be against paying for just the articles I want if it was possible.
  • I feel with you, Zinkala. I'm still missing one Annual, because I can't scrape the money together. However, I haven't ever felt like I didn't get my money's worth with the Annuals. Sometimes it feels like there isn't anything anything you can use for a couple of months, but by the end of the year I find myself saying "Wow, that was some good stuff again."

I have found myself wishing to buy single issues too, but as a business model that probably wouldn't fly. Basically the niche products lack of broad appeal balances out the popular issues and everything ends up at decent price.
  • I may just have to wait and save up. I've got enough things to keep me busy but the look of the hex maps got me excited.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I also find that, even if I do not have an immediate use for a given annual issue, I always learn something new from it. Also, issues can be useful in part, even if you don't need everything offered in the issue. For example, you might like one or more symbols, drawing tools, macros, or whatever. I, personally, have found the annuals to be very much worth the investment.

~Dogtag

P.S. I put a small amount of money aside each week so I can purchase next year's annual. So far, it's generally come down to just under $1 US/week for me (price + tax)!