Metrics CA3, and CD3 questions

Hi guys,

First of all, I must say I'm already impressed with all I've seen from Youtube, or shown on this website. Some art is totally awesome.

I'm a returning old GM (I started back in the 90's, stopped on around 2000, and now, I'm returning to RPG tabletops). I'm already playing with some guys at different RPG, and I'm also preparing my return to game mastering. The ability to show map is utterly powerful, and help a lot people with seeing your own vision of your story. So this is something I will not neglect.

Knowing the RPG I am learning now is a sci-fi mixed with medieval (Fading Suns if you wonder)
So basically, here is what I think will be useful to me (to start with at least) :
Campaign Cartographer 3 (since I understood it's the base program)
- City designer (since my character will inevitably go in cities)
- Dungeon Designer 3 (they will somehow will manager to go to dungeons from time to time)
- Cosmographer 3 (for space ships, starmaps, ...)
- Fractal Terrains 3 (for planet generation)
- Character Artist 3 (for any pnj, or even characters)

Well this is the full package I'm interested in. Maybe not all at once, since the bill is quite high with all those. But I guess I can get what I need right now to design my campaign, and later add extra's add on as when I see I need them.

I have downloaded, to check if it could fulfill my desires to have materials for when I play, I downloaded the Fractal Terrains 3 demo, to have a try, but I quickly stumbled upon a HUGE problem for me. It's all in feets, inches, and stuff... I have no idea at all about all those numbers, putting me in the obligation to translate into the metric system (which I use), in order to try and start something.

Question 1 - Is there any possibility to switch to mm, cm, dm, m, km ?

I didn't found anything about CA3, besides what is shown on the page.

Question 2 - So I have no idea if it's just premade characters, or are every part interchangeable (making a siren with a bull head, or a human with devil feet (just random examples here). Is it somehow similar to HeroMachine ? If I wish to make a spacemarine with an indiana jones hat and a katana, would I be able to create it ?

Last and not least, since the game I will master is overwhelmingly huge in places (I could build a planet with castle, like during the medieval era, or build the capital city of the empire, very modern and slick).

Question 3 - Would I be able to build ANY kind of town with it ? Be it modern, sci fi, or old, medieval ?

Thanks a lot for your time answering back,

It's much appreciated,

Vampyre

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: VampyreQuestion 1 - Is there any possibility to switch to mm, cm, dm, m, km ?
    Yes. In FT, go to Map -> World Settings -> Secondary tab, and check the metric units option.
    Posted By: VampyreQuestion 2 - So I have no idea if it's just premade characters, or are every part interchangeable (making a siren with a bull head, or a human with devil feet (just random examples here). Is it somehow similar to HeroMachine ? If I wish to make a spacemarine with an indiana jones hat and a katana, would I be able to create it ?
    To a certain degree. CA is about designing your own characters, where you assemble it from different parts. However, due to proportions and such, not every part can be made to fit seamlessly with any character. Also, not all parts you desire might exist, so you are limited to the existing parts (of course, if you feel artistic, you may create new parts yourself)
    Posted By: VampyreQuestion 3 - Would I be able to build ANY kind of town with it ? Be it modern, sci fi, or old, medieval ?
    Again, to a certain degree. While you can make anything you can think of, the house symbols that accompany CD3 is mostly medieval style buildings. You can create your own artwork, or use artwork found on the net if you can find something suitable, but there are no modern/futuristic symbols in the package. That is, there are some modern and futuristic symbols vector style symbols in the package (example). These are not as visually pleasing as new-style raster symbols, but you can still make very nice maps with them. Of course, you can also create maps without symbols (more like a real modern city map), which may be very well suited for modern maps.
  • Wow, thanks for that very fast answer...

Thank you very much... My main problem was switching to a metric system (graphics, that is possible to find to create other kind of maps)... Since it is possible, consider having a new buyer :p