what do i get?

I am very interested in the campaign cartographer software but I'm concerned that i wont get much in the way of material to work with. I don't have time to do a lot of customer work and need to be able to use "symbols" that come with the package.

While I don't mind buying the add on packages I'm not interested in spending 50 bucks to turn around and have to spend another 30. could some one give me an idea of how many textures and symbols come with this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2013
    Symbols are a bit difficult to count, but a quick count gave me a little less than 350 raster symbols in the base product (Campaign Cartographer 3), not counting vari-color versions. Some symbols are obviously only minor variations of each others. There is also close to 40 textures used as fill styles.

I addition, there are lots of vector symbols in multiple styles for vector style maps.

Do note that ProFantasy have a money back guarantee, so you can safely buy the product and check out the symbol collection for yourself.
  • BlindMapmakerBlindMapmaker Newcomer
    edited September 2013
    Check the image gallery for Campaign Cartographer 3 here. The second picture is a very zoomed-out shot of all the bitmap overland symbols included in the base programme. It's enough to make any kind of standard fantasy overland map (as shown in image 4), but you will find your dungeons to be a bit sparse with only the base programme.

You don't necessarily have to buy add-ons or make your own to get more symbols and fills. There are free collections like CSUAC that give you loads of new symbols for no cost and minimal effort. I'm not sure whether you can use all of these for commercial products, but for private use they are definitely fine.

If you know you want to do spend a lot of time mapping dungeons, cities or SF stuff, then you might want to invest in Dugeon Designer, City Designer or Cosmographer respectively. Otherwise looking for favourites in the Cartographer's Annuals and buying one or two of those gives you very specific styles and might be the better investment. There are also some free samples from each of the Annuals that will add quite a bit to your basic CC3 for no cost.
  • I have to say, with such clear answers and direct information. It is clear that the community must be well developed. Im sold! thanks a ton for your quick responses.
  • Glad to help you out. The community is indeed great. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.