bloodymage's struggles...

Figured I'd start my own thread 'cause this is going to be a long, arduous process but I'm determined to learn this program even if it kills me and it may well might! I'm on Tutorial03 just starting symbols, a morass if there ever was one. I'm instructed to click the Symbol Catalog Settings and select CC3 Filled Mountains from the list. Well, my list only includes CC2 entities.

Finding stuff on these wonder machines is my big bugaboo. As an aside, it might be nice for someone to compile a pdf of symbols, their types and where they are located; a crib sheet for those who are too old with too much crap in their head to put much more.

Carrying on...

Comments

• Another great pdf would be time-saving tips in using CC3
  • Sorry for being repetitious but it's frustrating not being able to find and use the CC3 Symbol Catalogs.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2013
    Posted By: bloodymageI'm instructed to click the Symbol Catalog Settings and select CC3 Filled Mountains from the list. Well, my list only includes CC2 entities.
    Right click the Symbol Style Toggle button image, then select CC3 Overland symbols from the list, or start a new map based on the CC3 standard overland style.
  • Dammit, right clicked the Symbol Style Toggle button and selected CC3 Overland got a bunch of options, saved what seemed appropriate and went back to Symbol Catalog Settings. Still only CC2 entities are listed. Dinked around some more and now right clicking the Symbol Style Toggle only brings up CC2 Filled Structures and CC2 Filled Structures 2. Trying to learn this is a bit like trying to run a WordPress site or any of Microsoft's program. Choices up the wazoo and no "this is the way it's done." I'll keep trying though because I'm a stubborn SOB.
  • Wonderful. I can't even learn the thing w/ a fresh install and going through step-by-step. I have the settings a jammed up. Another fresh install and start over?
  • Fresh install and still stuck. Time to do some printing, I guess.
  • Never learn if I don't ask, I presume. Did a fresh install, went to the CC3\Examples\TutorialsES.05.FCW clicked the Symbol Catalog Settings and got a list of CC2 entities. Right clicked the Symbol Style Toggle button ,then selected CC3 Overland symbols and essentially nothing happened that I can discern. The symbol Options didn't change. The Symbol Catalog Settings remained the same. I haven't started a new map because I'm trying to wade through the tutorial.

Btw, picked up a copy of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping to join my bricks for Word, Windows 7 and a massive pdf for Softmaker. It's no wonder I can't seem to get anything done!
  • Sometimes the symbil list doesn't change for me when i load it from within CC3.

If I understand your post, you are clicking on the symbol set first. Don't do that. Load CC3 first, then use the load symbols requestor to load a symbol set.
  • Was looking at the Tome. So much beautiful stuff, so little time, so little money. I'd like to take advantage of everything that ProFantasy has to offer (might leave the CharacterPro out) but coming back to this after so long means I'm stuck in learning mode perpetually. Reading the CC3 User Manual now. Printed out the first part of the Tome dealing with CC3, trying to deal with a demanding fiance, three dogs, two are unruly to some degree, trying to handle websites and two businesses and being a technological dinosaur is damned demanding. This is the stuff I have:

Campaign Cartographer 3 Upgrade
    City Designer 3
    Dungeon Designer 3
    Fractal Terrains 3
    Source Maps: Castles!
    Source Maps: Cities!
    Source Maps: Temples, Tombs...!
    Symbol Set 1 v3 - Overland
    Symbol Set 2 v3 - Floorplans
    Tome of Ultimate Mapping v3

I'd love to have:

Dioramas Pro
    Cosmographer 3
    Perspectives Pro
    The Cartographers Annual Vol 1 (2007)
    The Cartographers Annual Vol 2 (2008)
    The Cartographers Annual Vol 3 (2009)
    The Cartographers Annual Vol 4 (2010)
    The Cartographers Annual Vol 5 (2011)
    The Cartographers Annual Vol 6 (2012)
    The Cartographers Annual 2013

If I'd kept up with it from CC2, if technology hadn't left me in the dust, if I was a good deal younger, if the VA hadn't fed me poisons, if, if, if...

Ralf, I'd still like you to take a look at my stuff on Team Viewer and set me up properly. I have to find some way of trimming the time for all this. Eh, witch might be home, dog went ballistic.

Oh well, back to reading.
  • Wow. This is really tough stuff. Fingers hurt but I actually have months to make this map. I really should be getting back to the training, but I have so much to learn about so much that I'm attempting, doing is more fun. Guess it's quitting time...
  • edited September 2013
    The numbers are too small and I want to change them to black. Need the patience of Job for this kind of work. I might grouse and gripe but I love Campaign Cartographer. Went through and put everything on the proper layers. Once I finish this beast, I start again with something simpler but I'm finding that it definitely gets easier the more you do it. I have a hell of a time finding stuff, whether its files or symbols. One o' these days, I might get a handle on this infernal machine!
  • Wow, changing stuff is a real grind. Fortunately, I have time (if I don't die just continually mucking with this stuff!). I mentioned the numbers but orange roofs have always bugged me. So, if I have a map full of orange roofs, how do I change them? Started with the House Dialog Box and got a nice-looking roof, hit "Insert" and it did something, I guess, but it didn't change the roof colors. Tried the Entity Edit and could only change the roofs one panel at a time. Not sure I have that much time! Back to numbers and text.
  • edited September 2013
    Trying to build a cartouche. I've placed the numbers in the end boxes but they disappear behind the cartouche. Try to bring them forward to no avail. Maybe I'll try a simpler one.

And what's the deal with selecting? I try to Edit Properties or Move and I have to lclick 20, 30 times to get the entity selected. I know how to select, on the edge, but the silly program just does nothing.
  • Man you guys have created a monster! This stuff is addicting!
  • Maybe my dedicated thread isn't the best way to get help but I do need ongoing assistance as I try to learn. It occurred to me that my Ghostburg map is too crowded, not necessarily to busy but I seem to have little room for the cartouche, scale and compass rose so I though I'd place the map on a larger surface but so far, haven't been able to find a way to do that. How do I that?
  • Draw, on the map border sheet and map border layer, a larger map border. Delete the original map border.

Now you have more room.
  • edited September 2013
    Nothing but an exacting hobby can teach patience! Thanks Jim. A completely magic and impressive software.

Ah, almost forgot. I'm laboriously going through and editing my building numbers but it seems I could do them en masse. I'm increasing font size, changing the color and the sheet using the edit properties and change properties, the latter of which I had the impression would change the properties of similar symbols. How do I change a number and cause the rest of the numbers to mimic the changes?
    To change multiple text entries at once, you need to select them all. Use Change properties, then select all the relevant text entries before clicking Do It to bring up the dialog.
    To make it easier to just select the text, you may wish to hide the layers holding your buildings and roads.
  • OK, I have my latest iteration saved. Still have to move the numbers after enlarging them. Since I'm going for the best I can do (this program is murder for an OCD person, well, I guess most gamers are OCD) and I'm learning as I go, how do I change the roof colors again, en masse?
    edited September 2013
    Unfortunately, that is a bit more tricky. For varicolor buildings, you can just use Change Properties, select all the houses, execute the command and select a new color. Unfortunately, a lot of the houses in your map are non-varicolor, which makes it a bit more tricky.
    If you look into the houses symbol catalog, you can see that some of the house names end with an "a" (optionally followed by a number), while some end with a "v" (again, optionally followed by a number). The "v" ones are varicolor buildings, that uses the currently selected color when placing them, and can also be changed later by Change Properties.

What you need to do is to replace the non-varicolor symbols with the varicolor equivalents. You can do this from the symbol manager. Just open it (Symbols -> Symbol Manager), scroll down to find an offending "a" house, select it, then click the "Replace Button". A new dialog asking which symbol to replace it with should appear. Just select the varicolor version of the exact same building and click ok. this will replace all instances of that building with the selected replacement, but will keep scale and orientation. So as long as you select the correct replacement, it should look exactly the same in the map (except for the color)
    Note that for the correct building to appear in the replace list, it must have been placed in the map at one point. So if you do not find the equivalent building, cancel out of the dialogs, find it in the symbol catalog, and click on it once (You don't actually have to place it in the map, but you need to click on it so it appears on your cursor ready for placement), then go back to the symbol manager to to the replace.

However, for the third "type" of houses, the ones drawn by the house tool, it gets even more trickier. I cannot think of a quick and easy way to handle these unfortunately. You can use change property on them, but this changes the black outline and shading at the same time, which doesn't look good. These houses are drawn using regular polygons, which are grouped. What you need to do is to turn off group locking temporarily (The Locked) button in the lower right corner of CC3, then change the colors of the individual house elements. But truthfully, this is NOT something you wish to do with all those houses.

Note. I recommend making a backup copy of your map before you start replacing symbols with the symbol manager and editing house symbols.
  • Well tried that and it worked well enough. Didn't like the effect so I went back the next day to try it again and wasn't allowed to Change Properties. So I used Edit Properties and got a filled outline of the roof. It's going to take me a bit of forever to finish this map but I've found if I try to stick with one operation, it goes faster. So anyway, how do I get a full roof and not just the outline?

I also placed a house in the margin to experiment with. This city is supposed to be abandoned so I was trying to place overgrown vines on the house but I couldn't find the symbol.
  • Buildings use more than one layer. Make sure you haven't hidden any layers, the roof should show up then.
    edited September 2013
    I don't think there are any vines symbols among the official ProFantasy symbols (not that I can remember anyway), but the CSUAC Collection contains a large amount of various vegetation symbols, so it might have something for your need. The downside is that those symbols are using raster artwork, while your map is in vector style, so they may clash a bit. Anyway, see this topic for how to get the CSUAC symbols.
  • Well, if you have CA50 you can find some in the Vegetation catalog. (It's labelled CA49 btw).
  • Well, this isn't much fun. Way too many symbols.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2013
    Posted By: bloodymageWay too many symbols.
    Well, now, I don't believe I've ever seen those words arranged in that order on this forum before! image

~Dogtag
  • Well, I'm still trying but the simplest things seem to throw me off. Finished "Cactus Gulch Avenue, Prescott, Arizona Territory" and now I'm trying to do the "Prescottonian," a map of a floorplan with two wings. To get the wings the same width, I need a ruler or grid but I can't seem to make anything visible.