Need a program that lets me import a JPG then superimpose a hexgrid

Maybe you all can help me. i am looking for a simple program to do the following:
IMPORT A MAP of say FRANCE
SUPERIMPOSE A HEXGRID OVER THE TOP

must be easy to use and do it for me very simply as I am dumb and have no knowledge of graphic design software. Dont care if its free or not. Just want to import a JPG, and then put a hex grid over it. In easy steps that do not involve layers or GIFs or sub layers or trajectories or a graphic design degree

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited August 2013
    Hi PV,

What do you want to do with the map once you've imported it and put a grid on it? Are you looking for something to edit the map or do you just want to display it with a grid so you can view it (or game with it)?

There's a growing number of virtual table-top programs that let you import images and overlay grids. I use kLoOge.Werks, which I believe can do hex grids, but I admit I'm not sure how many others do so. You can find a list of some popular virtual table tops at the RPG Virtual TableTop site. You can also find a feature-comparison matrix there, too. I don't know how comprehensive their list is, but it's a good place to start.

~Dogtag
  • Battlegrounds Gaming Engine is a virtual tabletop program which supports both square grids and hex grids. Some features that may interest you in regards to this:
    • You can hide or show the grid with a single keypress
    • You can place objects (e.g. virtual counters) on the map and they can either be dragged freely or they can be made to to snap-to-grid
    • You can set the transparency level that you want for the grid, so it can either be fully opaque, or semi-transparent
    • You can choose the grid color (10 colors come pre-installed, more can be added if needed)
    • You can make your own custom grid graphic and use that instead (e.g., a hexgrid with center dots, or with a specific hex-numbering scheme)

The program is easy to use, but it is frankly overkill if what you described above is ALL you intend to do (the program is actually intended for playing boardgames, card games and/or dice games online, or solitaire). A license for BGE costs $15, but you can use the free Demo to do what you want.

One caveat: Currently, the maximum hexgrid size supported by BGE is 40 x 46, so if you need anything larger than that, you may need to look elsewhere for another solution.
  • edited August 2013
    There's a plugin for Paint.net (free) which lets you add a hex grid to any image. More details in this post.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited August 2013
    You can also just use CC3. Convert your jpg to png, import it into cc3, then put any type of grid on it.
    edited August 2013
    LOL! Sorry, I don't mean to laugh but the phrase "convert your jpg to omg" made me shoot Diet Coke out my nose. Just picturing someone at their computer...
    So, now, let's convert this jpg to... OMG!
    Dang, shot soda out my nose again! ROTFL.

~Dogtag

Mod Edit: In case anyone is confused by Dogtag's post here, I have now edited Ralf's post and removed the typo -- Monsen
    A nice thing about CC3 hex grids, if I remember correctly, is that you can choose the orientation. That is, you can choose to orient the hexes so the flat sides are on the top and bottom of the hex or the left and right.

~Dogtag
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Sigh, that happens when you post from a Swype keyboard with auto correction. Shouldn't be doing this from my vacation. ;-)