Arrow slits in wall

Any suggestions as to how to make arrow slits in a wall?'
Tried to "fool around" with this for a few days, but no luck.....

Comments

• CA46 has an arrow slit tool if you design your walls as polygons.
  • And CA46 is...?
    Another pack to buy?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CA46 is the Cartographers Annual vol 46, and yes, that is another package you can buy. I told you a bit more regrading the annuals in this post.
  • I wrote a tutorial on how to build polygon walls without CA46 here .
    Seek Parts 3 and 4 without CA46 (though I recommend reading parts 1-2 especially if you're new to CC3 as most of the info there is not CA46-specific).

Granted, the work is more time consuming and the arrow slit is not detailed but if you choose to follow this path I'll gladly answer any question.
  • anomiecoalitionanomiecoalition Traveler
    edited August 2013
    I know I got these from the Dunjinni forums...but don't remember from where or who did them originally. I've used them once before...just resize and mirror whatever shadow you choose to make the triangle arrow slit.
  • 1 month later
  • BDJ: Rather too late to be useful I suspect, but I'm very new to the Forum here, so apologies!

There are two good ideas here, but if you're willing to go with something more basic in DD3 (which is what I did, as I hadn't seen this topic at the time!), you can simply construct two stretches of wall with a small gap between them, then add a fresh short stretch of wall bridging the gap, making sure to set this line up on a sheet below the "Walls" one. It's worth setting up these "gap walls" on a separate sheet of their own in fact, so you can then adjust the effects to get the "gap" to look right. Simply removing the Walls sheet "Bevel" effect worked for me, but you might want to adjust the Wall Shadow too. I've also tried using just a one-colour untextured line of wall thickness to act as the gap piece, matching the general colour of the wall, which gives an additional contrast effect in itself.

I've used this trick for secret doorways intended to be partway up a wall as well as arrow slits (rotating slab style; I was drafting a map for a Dwarven Forge modular dungeon I designed many years earlier at the time).
  • Hey Wyvern - no need to apologise for trying to help me ;-)

You are right though. it is to late for the wall I tried to make, when I opened this topic.
    But thanks for your advice - I will remember it next time I need arrow slits :-)