CA3 License Questions

I noticed the CA3 samples in the new newsletter and was impressed. Even though we can't use CC3 maps in our products, I think the CA3 results could be quite useable. What will the license say in terms of using CA3 renderings in published products? Will distribution of our .FCW files be allowed? Also, is there any rough timeline on when CA3 might be available? We'll be working on the product that needs the character renderings before year's end. In other words, somewhere along the line, I need to know whether we should wait for it or forget it.

Mark Oliva
The Vintyri (TM) Project
http://www.vintyri.org

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    While I cannot give you an official answer, as far as my understanding of the license goes, you will be fine to use CA3 renderings in published products, as well as distribute the .fcw files (However, remember that the artwork is not embedded in the .fcw files, so only other people who also owns CA3 will be able to use them). Distributing ProFantasy artwork along with the fcw is not allowed, although you can distribute artwork which you have the rights to if you use custom artwork.
    ProFantasy haven't changed their license (http://www.profantasy.com/service/license.asp) in a long time, and I don't think this will change with CA3.

Obviously, for the official answer, as well as an answer to your last question, you'll have to wait for Ralf or Simon to chime in here.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Thanks!
    Posted By: MonsenWhile I cannot give you an official answer,
    No problem.
    (However, remember that the artwork is not embedded in the .fcw files, so only other people who also owns CA3 will be able to use them).
    That a user needs CC3/CA3 to access the graphics doesn't bother us. The main point with our products is, that the customer, in possession of the necessary software, can edit and/or customize the material that he or she gets from us.
    you can distribute artwork which you have the rights to if you use custom artwork.
    Right. To achieve our portability goal, we would have to limit our base material to that distributed with CA3 and/or use only 3rd party products with standard installations (such as the CSUAC is for CC3). That wouldn't be a problem for us.
    Obviously, for the official answer, as well as an answer to your last question, you'll have to wait for Ralf or Simon to chime in here.
    Right. The weekend probably will have to pass first. And our second question also is important. We don't know if a release on time for us to be able to use it in our product within terms of our own publication deadlines is likely.

Happy weekend,

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project
    info@vintyri.org
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    As Monsen says, the license will still be the same as for our other products.

My current goal is to get CA3 ready (the download version) for GenCon. This is a rough estimate, no guarantees.
    Posted By: RalfAs Monsen says, the license will still be the same as for our other products.

My current goal is to get CA3 ready (the download version) for GenCon. This is a rough estimate, no guarantees.
    OK. Thanks. If you make it for GenCon, that would work within our own time framework.

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project
    info@vintyri.org
  • 1 month later
    edited August 2013
    Posted By: RalfMy current goal is to get CA3 ready (the download version) for GenCon. This is a rough estimate, no guarantees.
    Taken without guarantees, but now that GenCon's over, any new estimates? I have to admit that I'm getting a bit antsy. We'd like to use this to create NPC illustrations for the pending release of "The Northwest" for our Jörðgarð (TM) campaign setting. However, if we're going to use CA3, we'll need it soon, probably sometime in September.
  • Apparently they released a beta version at GenCon. Not that I have much to go on.
    Posted By: BlindMapmakerApparently they released a beta version at GenCon.
    Right. But the beta apparently isn't available anywhere else. Another thread questioned this issue too, but ProFantasy offered no answers.