Muskelbroghe idea

Os I was looking in a big book of maps last night and I saw the map made muskelbroghe in 1548 the English victory of the scotts. I was thinking that this might be a usable style to document warhammer fantasy battles games. So I mocked up some soldier symbols and made a test map.

What do you think? (The soldiers where made in Gimp in about an hour total so don't laugh too hard) The rest is from the John Speed style.
The original map is seen online at this link

http://dl.lib.brown.edu:8080/ImageServer/scrollnav.jsp?filename=1264783401500125.jp2

Thanks,

Ken

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I think it's great. Sure, maybe the custom symbols could be more polished if you took more time, but frankly I'm impressed when someone goes the extra mile to make their own symbols to give a map their personal stamp. It "feels" like a real map of some battle.

~Dogtag
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Thanks Dogtag, I agree the symbols are sketchy. Like I said I did it in gimp and created about 40 different symbols in about an hour. I used the air brush tool and on a bigger map they look too thin. But they work for a proof of concept, it.
    Did you get a chance to look at the original map.

Thanks
    Ken
  • Cool idea! And I like your symbols. The only improvement I can see would be to enlarge the line thickness of the symbols to match the trees, houses... It might reduce the quality... The other solution is to make new trees symbols...
    Good luck with the battalion symbols :)
  • Amazing, I really like this idea!
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    Pretty cool idea.
    Agreed, the symbols could be better, but still, I like it.
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    With all the positive feedback on this test, I'll go back to the "drawing" board so to speak and see if I can design some little bit better symbols to replace my stick figures.
    This would be easy if I had any artistic talent :-0
    You know JdR, the battalion symbols on the original map, at their core look like forest fills. He placed individual figures on the edges and flags floated on top, so maybe they won't be so bad after all.
    I can hope.