Annuals: Sep. '07 vs May '11

At some point I will be creating modern city maps for a fictional country project, and to that end, I was looking closely at the May '11 Annual, "Modern Road".

Then, recently while idly looking through all the past annuals just out of curiosity, I noticed that the September issue of the very first annual back in 2007 is "Modern City." The two styles are fairly similar and are obviously meant to serve the same general purpose, but I assume they have to have SOME differences (the '07 one lists more stuff in its features, i.e. higher number of new drawing tools, new symbols, etc... on the other hand, the '07 one also has two map styles in one: a modern looking style and an old-fashioned looking style. So maybe the higher number of parts is because of that?).

So, can anyone comment on the differences and/or similarities between the two? Aside from the aforementioned older map style present in the Sep. '07 one; that's an obvious difference, but I want to know how they stack up specifically for use in making modern looking city maps. If I were to decide to just try both of them out (thank you 14-day money-back guarantee!), and decided that I really liked elements of both and thought it was worth the money to keep both, is there any way to essentially combine them, making all the tools/symbols/etc. from both styles available for use in one map?

Thanks as always for any info!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited June 2013
    The styles are similar, but they also have some significant differences.

The Modern City style from the Annual 2007 is more geared towards city maps specifically, as opposed to the 2011 Modern Roads one, which can also do larger-scale regional or even national road maps. For example the former has symbols for parking lots, information centers, and similar things, you'd find on modern city plan, while the latter has symbols for route IDs and such things. Also, the city style is roughly based on a series of German city street maps, while the later recreates a US road atlas styles. As such they will look somewhat different.

Of course you can combine the two, by simply copying the drawing tools (dto files) from one folder into the other. You might just need to rename some where names are the same between the two. As both styles are vector-based, you want run into problems with missing fill styles or such.