Making Modern Floorplans

I'm new to CC3 but I've been gowing over the guides and found it a pretty easy tool to use for my D&D game. However, i'm also running a modern buffy-esque game and I need to do the layout for a modern day hi-tech castle. I know I can do the floorplans easily in DD3, but I was wondering where to get symbol sets for modern furniture and the like. I saw Symbol Set 2, but that appears to be for CC2 only. Am I mistaken, or would there be some other packages or sets I could buy (profantasy or otherwise) that would help me get the job done?

Comments

• The CUSAC files have some modern. I havn't used them so I don't know how many, but it does have
  • I just found it. Thanks, I'll see what it has.
  • edited September 2008
    The modern symbol set (SS3) and Cosmographer both already got their compatibility updates making them work in CC3. They contain a nice set of modern and sci-fi vector art symbols.
  • As far as Modern Furniture is concerned, do a google image search for stuff, I found a heap of stovetops and baths for a map I needed for a modern game that way, beds as well.
  • SS2 Style B also has some more modern stuff in it
  • Normally, when you make your floorplans for a Fantasy game, you don't want to have a "modern" floorplan, it visually represents the place, and need fantasy related symbols. Here the map making programs you see are the natural choices, and CC3 is probably your best bet.

The moment when you speak about a floorplan that looks like a modern floorplan you have many options. From various CAD software (even the software families can use to design some changes to their homes), to Microsoft Visio, to its free alternatives under linux.

With some programs you can make 3D renderings, and if you just want quick visuals, I heard people using Sims 2 for that. The later is named for character art, and I heard some would use Eve Online for creating portraits, etc.

If you prefer to have a full suite of specialized tools, you have plenty of choices, and I tend to use them all.

Thanks to PNG symbol support you can use any images as symbols in DD3, and you can even use images extracted from the other mentioned tools as background or as symbols or parts of your image :) Using these things together is a nice way to make better maps, handouts, etc. Use your creativity :)

The mentioned things like CSUAC, SS3, Cosmographer, etc. can add some symbols to your repertoire if you prefer to use them. But I would recommend buying the annuals first, it would let you learn about creating your own symbols, would let you learn how to use your tools more efficiently.